Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max with enhanced menus crashes after vray upgrade

Hi,
    I've just upgraded vray from 30003 to 30007. When restart max, it consistently crashes while running the vray startup scripts.

Detailed description
    After I've installed vray 30003 a while ago I switched 3dsmax to the enhanced menu layout. You can do this through the dropdown menu in the title-bar of 3dsMax. This spices up the menu-structure a bit. Installing vray 30007 went fine, but when max starts up the vray startupscripts give me errors. In particular the updateVRayMenus() method from the vrayutils.ms script. I suspect it tries to unregister the old menus, but can't get to them because the newer menu-structure is used.

Temp workaround
    When I remove the vrayinstall.ms script from the startup scripts, max starts up just fine. When I swap back to the default workspace, max crashes immediately. I can use vray 30007, but only if I remove this startup script. I'm not sure if I do that I'm missing essential functionality.
    Klaas Nienhuis
    Projects of the third kind
    twitter linkedin

Hi,

Which 3DS Max version is this? I tried to reproduce the problem with 2014 and 2015 here, but without success.
    Could you try to uninstall V-Ray 3.00.07, remove all left V-Ray files from the 3DS Max /Plugins folder and install it again.

Generally the "vrayinstall.ms" script tries to register V-Ray things in the 3DS Max menus and is deleted after the first run.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Tashko,

The issue is in max 2014.

here's what I've done:
      • Uninstall vray, made sure there were no residue vray files around
      • Start up max: no problem. Enhanced menus still enabled
      • Quit max
      • Install vray 30007 again
      • Start up max: script error from one of the vray startup scripts. I've appended the actual error at the end of this post
      • Force max to quit
      • Uninstall vray
      • Start up max: no problem
      • Switch from the enhanced menus back to the default workspace
      • Quit max
      • Install vray 30007 again
      • Start up max: no problem

So apparently there's an issue, in my case at least, with vray and the enhanced menus in 3dsMax 2014. I did have some customizations to my menu, unrelated to vray. But I assume the vray startup script should be able to handle that.
      For the moment I'm sticking to the default workspace in max 2014 but I'd be grateful if you could look into this.

The script error
      -- Error occurred in registerVRayEnhancedMenuBarItems(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2014\scripts\startup\vrayutils.ms; position: 72277; line: 2380
      -- Frame:
      -- toolsMaterialMenu: <MixinInterface:menu>
      -- subMenuItem: <MixinInterface:menuItem>
      -- separatorIndex: 5
      -- mainMenuBar: <MixinInterface:menu>
      -- listLangInfo: #(9, 1, "ENU", "English (United States)", "en-US")
      -- languageIndex: 1
      -- modMenu: <MixinInterface:menu>
      -- toolsMenu: <MixinInterface:menu>
      -- subMenuItemObjects: <MixinInterface:menuItem>
      -- mainObjMenu: <MixinInterface:menu>
      -- camerasMenu: <MixinInterface:menu>
      -- submenu: <MixinInterface:menu>
      -- lastSeparatorIdx: 23
      -- helpersMenu: <MixinInterface:menu>
      -- renderingPreviewMenu: <MixinInterface:menu>
      -- lightsMenu: <MixinInterface:menu>
      -- updateEnable: true
      -- menuIndex: 8
      -- called in registerVRayMenus(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2014\scripts\startup\vrayutils.ms; position: 85658; line: 2777
      -- Frame:
      -- registerVRayRTMenus: undefined
      -- called in updateVRayMenus(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2014\scripts\startup\vrayutils.ms; position: 85988; line: 2792
      -- Frame:
      -- called in autoinstallVRayUI(); filename: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2014\scripts\startup\vrayinstall.ms; position: 556; line: 14
      -- Frame:
      -- Error occurred during fileIn in #C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2014\scripts\startup\vrayutils.ms; line number: 2380
      >> MAXScript Auto-load Script Error - C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2014\scripts\startup\vrayinstall.ms Exception:
      -- Unknown system exception <<
      Klaas Nienhuis
      twitter linkedin

Comment

Can you tell me which language you have for the 3ds Max user interface? The line that crashes is
        Code:
        			camerasMenu.addItem (menuMan.createActionItem "VRayDomeCamera" "VRay") separatorIndex
        Not sure why that command would cause 3ds Max to crash; it seems like a bug in the 3ds Max menu system. Do you think it would be possible to get us your customized menu files so that we can experiment with them?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

My max is English. I'll get the menu files to you in the various states.
          I also can add I have two scripts installed from the autodesk exchange. I don't think the actual scripts are an issue, but I do know that the way autodesk installs them messes a bit with the menu.
          Klaas Nienhuis
          twitter linkedin

Comment

You could send us the customized menu file to support@chaosgroup.com , just add this thread as a note.
            Which scripts you have installed from Autodesk exchange, maybe we can download it and run a test if it's free?
            Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Ok,
              I've sent three sets of ui-files taken from this location: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\ 2014 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\UI\Workspaces\usersave
              Set 1: vray installed, default workspace
              Set 2: vray installed, enhanced menus
              Set 3: no vray, enhanced menus

Set 2 crashes max upon startup like described above. After closing max I removed all "Workspace1Enhanced__usersave__*.*" files from the folder. Starting up max with the enhanced menus and vray worked after I've removed these files. Max recreates these files. However, starting up once more crashes max. So, if the files aren't there, max will start, if they are there, max will crash.

The two scripts I've installed from the autodesk exchange are: Augment and Exhibitcore
              Klaas Nienhuis
              twitter linkedin

Comment

Working...
              X