Flicker in Specular Highlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flicker in Specular Highlight

I've got an animation with some nice specular, but in some parts where the specular is sharp, I'm getting CRAZY flicker
    Tried AA on
    Doesnt appear to make a difference

It's an exterior with VRaySun and VRaySky, VRaySun is invisible
    Currently Clamp is on 3, but it makes no difference with it off (except render longer)
    Sun Shadow subdivs of 32, 64, 128 doesnt seem to make a difference

I only see the flicker in the specular
    Last edited by Morne; 19-09-2014, 07:51 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Are you using a sharpening filter?
    Try none, or area.
    Failing that if it's just one material, detach the specular value from the reflection glossiness and drop it to get a much softer highlight.

Comment

None is even worse. I prefer quadratic over area, gives me a much softer result

As for the reflection, I went up and down with the glossy, but doesnt seem to help much even with subdivs on 128. I'll let you know how the unlinking goes. Currently that mat's glossy is on 0.85 with 32 subdivs. Will unlink and stick highlight on 0.7 or so and see how far lens effects get me
      Last edited by Morne; 20-09-2014, 12:38 PM. Reason: fixed the typo in the 0.85 samples
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

If it's spec it's normally dirty light samples somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          If it's spec it's normally dirty light samples somewhere.
          Jip, that's the part that doesnt make sense to me since it's just a VRaySun and VRaySky. No HDRI or dome light. Even tried sticking the VRaySky in a dome just to give it some more samples, but nothing
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Try to make the sun size bigger. Something around "50" or more and see if it helps.
            Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
              Try to make the sun size bigger. Something around "50" or more and see if it helps.
              Even if invisible is ticked?
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                Even if invisible is ticked?
                Yes, "Invisible" will make the sun invisible to the camera and to reflections. Specular of the materials will still be produced until you uncheck "Affect specular", which you could try too. If you find where the flicker comes from, it will be easy to find a solution.

But try first with bigger size, hope it will fix it.
                Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
                  Yes, "Invisible" will make the sun invisible to the camera and to reflections. Specular of the materials will still be produced until you uncheck "Affect specular", which you could try too. If you find where the flicker comes from, it will be easy to find a solution.

But try first with bigger size, hope it will fix it.
                  Hi Tashko,

I know it's been asked many times over the years, but are there plans to break out specular controls from lights so you can really control this independently? For example I'm working on a shot right now where the intensity of the light creates far too dull a specular reflection on objects, but when I increase the multi of the light, the spec looks great but I then get the classic jagged edges around the lights. It would be fantastic if we could simply have a separate "Specular Contribution Multiplier" control in lights so you can crank it up and down but keep the main light multi at 1.0 to avoid these issues.

I hope this is possible. It's an issue we and many others have on a huge number of projects.

Many thanks,
                  Alex York
                  Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
                  www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Can you use another light? turn off affect specular, then make a copy and switch off affect diffuse/affect reflections and turn it up.
                    Failing that i've found myself separating the spec & reflection values on my materials a lot recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
                      Can you use another light? turn off affect specular, then make a copy and switch off affect diffuse/affect reflections and turn it up.
                      Failing that i've found myself separating the spec & reflection values on my materials a lot recently.
                      Yep this is what I'm currently doing - a mixture of the two. A simple control for it in lights would negate all these work-arounds though.
                      Alex York
                      Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
                      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Increasing the light size to 50 makes shadows too soft. And the specular issue still there.
                        In the material I'm un-linking the specular now and bringing that down to see if it gets better
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

you can also use subpixel mapping and turn down the clamping. but of course, your image won't look exactly the same concerning the brightness and shape of your other highlights.
                          once, this helped me out with sun-sparkles on a simple carpaint, mostly visible on fine edges.

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                            Increasing the light size to 50 makes shadows too soft. And the specular issue still there.
                            In the material I'm un-linking the specular now and bringing that down to see if it gets better
                            Would it be possible to attach a simplified version of the scene for investigation?
                            Thank you in advance.
                            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                            X