Distributed Rendering Wont Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed Rendering Wont Work

Just built a new machine as render slave. Im using V-Ray 2.50.01 and Max Design 2015.

Backburner successful rendered a frame to this machine with no problem.
    But Rendering as a Distributed rendering machine fails to display any buckets rendered from this machine.

VraySpawner2015.exe is running as a service in "Running" mode.
    I do see VRayDummy2015.max on my taskbar.
    The host machine does say "Using 1 hosts for distributed rendering. Server *.*.*.*. Scene loaded; starting render.
    I've also told windows firewall to allow 3D Max, VRrayspawner to bypass the firewall.

Scene beginnings rendering but I'm not getting any buckets from new machine. Any suggestions?

Would you please run the following test.

1.Create a completely new scene with a few basic primitives and a few lights. Make sure that the scene doesn't render super fast, otherwise you won't be able to see the buckets.
    2.Start VraySpawner manually, not as a service.
    3.Turn off firewall temporary(only for the test).
    4.Make sure that the V-Ray license server is configured correctly for both (workstation and slave) machines, and you have at least 2 render-node licenses.
    5.Run a test render with DR enabled.
    6.If the slave machine does not join the redner, please copy both V-Ray log files from the workstation and slave machine and send it for investigation.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

After creating a new scene, I do see the slave machine helping render the Master scene with DR. I turned the firewall back on, and it continues to help render. So the issue must be with my architect scene? I would like to send a log file of this scene, but I can not find an output of the log file. The manual says it is saved in the root if C:\? Is that accurate? Where can I find the log for both master and slave machines to send to chaosgroup?

Thanks!

Comment

The log file is located under windows temp directory - you can access it very easy by typing %temp% in windows explorer.
        This issue however looks very similar to the one posted here:
        http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...ith-old-scenes

Would you please try to update your 3DSMax to the latest available Service Pack.
        Then make sure that VRaySpawner service is configured to log on with a real-account not with local service account as it is by default.
        Run another test and let us know if the issue is still there.

Comment

Thanks Draganov,

I already had the latest service pack for 3D Max Design 2015 installed (Service Pack 2). As for user accounts, I basically have two accounts for the slave machines - "Renderfarm", "Administrator". Are you suggesting that I need to change some type of security settings on my "Renderfarm" account? I assume this is behaving in the "local service" mode that you mentioned. Not sure how to get run VRaySpawner service as a real account.

Thanks!

Comment

By default when VraySpawner is registered as a service it uses Local System Account.
            Local System Account however has some limitations and it is recommended to use another account type that has the necessary rights.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	K61Blv3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	854395

Comment

My VraySpawner is fully running as Administrator. Still isn't working. I'm emailing support@chaosgroup.com right now with log files and screenshots.

Edit:: After more test with a quick sample scene that works, I've noticed that the textures do not render on the DR Slave machine. But it renders as a Backburner Slave with the textures just fine. Could this be related to my issue? I do not know what permissions need to be changed since it renders textures just fine as a backburner slave.

Thanks!
              Last edited by Teriander; 15-10-2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Missing textures on the slave-machines basically means that the spawner doesn't have access to the textures and yes it is most probably related to the same issue.
                There are several reasons for that:

1.Firewall
                2.VraySpawner is launched with non-administrative account.
                3.Mapped Driver paths are used.

Please turn off Firewall temporary just for the test.
                Log on on the slave machine with administrative account and start VraySpawner manually, not as a windows service.
                Change all the paths in the scene to use UNC convention and avoid any mapped drives.
                Run a test render with V-Ray DR between only 2 machines (workstation and slave) - and send us the log files for investigation if there are any issues.

Comment

Hey, I have the exact same problem. Running Vray 3 build 3.15.01. 3ds max 2014 SP5, Windows 7x64

Backburner works fine, all textures present.
                  DR renders with no textures.
                  Firewall off
                  Antivirus off
                  Textures located on mapped network drives (UNC paths) on workstation machine, can be seen from all slave nodes. (Obviously as BBurner works)

Only seems to have become an issue after updating from the previous build.

Any ideas on this? I'll forward my log onto support as well
                  Last edited by cam_910; 16-10-2014, 09:17 PM.

Comment

What about VraySpawner - did you start it manually or as a service?
                    What happens if Transfer Missing Maps option is active?

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
                      Missing textures on the slave-machines basically means that the spawner doesn't have access to the textures and yes it is most probably related to the same issue.
                      There are several reasons for that:

1.Firewall
                      2.VraySpawner is launched with non-administrative account.
                      3.Mapped Driver paths are used.

Please turn off Firewall temporary just for the test.
                      Log on on the slave machine with administrative account and start VraySpawner manually, not as a windows service.
                      Change all the paths in the scene to use UNC convention and avoid any mapped drives.
                      Run a test render with V-Ray DR between only 2 machines (workstation and slave) - and send us the log files for investigation if there are any issues.
                      I've logged onto Administrator and turned off the firewall on DR slave machine. Still missing textures when rendering as DR.

This is the exact path to the texture:
                      Y:\Textures\Floor\Slate_Alpine.jpg

Only Master machine with scene and the slave machine were included.

Comment

Hey guys, Just to let you know Vray Support advised me to not use my saved render preset (basically I just deleted my maxstart.max file which was setup with previous build of Vray 3)....and it has resolved my issues! All textures can now be seen by all slaves.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Cam_910,

But I'm using Vray 2.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Teriander View Post
                            Cam_910,

But I'm using Vray 2.5.
                            I see that you have opened a ticket about this DR issue and my colleagues have already replied on it.
                            Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yes, I emailed support and working through the email.

Thanks Tashko!

Comment

Working...
                              X