Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRay automatically assigns new VRay Material to 'selected' objects...problematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay automatically assigns new VRay Material to 'selected' objects...problematic

I like the new toolbar in VRay 3.0 but I've identified a behavior that is problematic and is constantly forcing me to redo texture work. If you have any objects selected in the viewport and then you click the new button in the toolbar to create a new blank 'Vray Material' in the Material Editor, that new blank material is assigned to anything you left selected and wipes out the previous texture assignment. It's sort of frustrating as I often work in wireframe and don't always notice what's selected.

Is there a way to alter a file to disable this behavior? I'd like having the button that places a new blank material in Material Editor but I'd like to stop it from automatically assigning it to any objects until I've had a chance to modify the material properly.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
    -----------------------------------------
    Autodesk Expert Elite Member

We specifically wanted the new material to be assigned to the selected object. You can certainly write your own macroscript to create a new VRayMtl material in the material editor and add a button for it to the toolbar.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply Vlado. Unfortunately, many users like me are not coders. Maybe you guys can consider in your next update to provide a switch for it. It's much more of a problem than it is a help. It's pretty rare to want a default material assigned to an object. Objects already receive a default material when they are created. No need to do that twice.

At least I now know it's just the way it is instead of a problem. I'll just try to remember to deselect everything more frequently until I get some time to dive into macros and see if I can manage to create one.

Thanks...
      V-Ray 6.20.06, 3ds Max (3D Studio thru Max 2025), GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x CPU, Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4 Ram, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD
      -----------------------------------------
      Autodesk Expert Elite Member

Comment

Working...
      X