32bit and Photoshop ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32bit and Photoshop ?

When using VrayRender elementsI usually comp within Nuke or Fusion and it works like a charm (32 bit.exr files).

However, I am currently running into comping issues when using Photoshop!

Question:
    What file format should be used for Photoshop ?

current issues:
    I tried to use the following 32bit formats, none of them worked to comp back to my original RGB Beauty Pass.
    .tif, .exr, .tga, .hdr

thx for any little info,
    appreciate it !
    www.bernhardrieder.com
    rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

Native Photoshop EXR is terrible, the Photoshop devs themselves will tell you there's nothing wrong with it though (just like like all their other formats handle alpha channels)...

ProEXR is the only alternative if you want to play with 32bit EXRS in Photoshop, it works a treat. But it costs a one off licence.

A little off topic but I also recommend their SuperPNG (which is free) and much better than default adobe png handler.
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

Comment

thx man for the info... yeah.. it's really a pain that Adobe is so pigheaded and still doesn't implement .exr file format like everyone else does.. lol;
      SuperPNG... hmm... what's your experience with that format ? does it work ?
      www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Yes, very well. You can control PNG file sizes (1-8 like vray quality in render settings) and you also finally have control over the Alpha Channel (separate channel, pre-multiply, etc.) which Adobe don't believe in doing!

It's unbelievable, there's a massive thread on Adobe forum where pro users (film, games etc..) are telling Adobe they need to control Alpha channels, but Adobe turn around and say that's not the intent of png. It's a bizarre stance - their forums are a stark difference to the wonderful support and open ears from the devs here at Chaos.
        Last edited by snivlem; 10-11-2014, 02:29 PM.
        Maya 2020/2022
        Win 10x64
        Vray 5

Comment

hmm.. ok.. but once installed.. you have it for Adobe only.. so when saving out from vray, you pick just the regular PNG format ? or how does it roll ?
          www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Yes, it's a file format handler specifically for Photoshop.

If you add it to your plugins folder, it should appear. It's useful when using PNGS rendered from V-Ray.

If you open a PNG from Photoshop you can hold down "alt" at the same time, which will bring up a number of very useful options that you can make Photoshop handle pngs (use alpha channel, pre multiply image etc...)
            Also now when you save a PNG from Photoshop you can use the "superpng" extension instead of png. You will get smaller PNGs than what Photoshop can do and you can choose what to do with transparency or just use an alpha channel.

It's just a better way for us CG artists to use png.
            Maya 2020/2022
            Win 10x64
            Vray 5

Comment

It *is* possible to get them to comp back perfectly, but only in 32bit. (From my experience.) It's probably not necessary to say, but make sure you're saving out your exr's at gamma 1.0.

You have to go into Edit->Color Settings and in the RGB working space change it to sRGB IECxxxxx. You'll have trouble with alpha channels (because why should life be easy), so you may have to create a custom gray profile and set the color management policy to "convert to working gray". Even then, I often have to save out my alpha separately and copy paste it into the mask. It's ridiculous, but it does work.

It's nothing is slick and easy as Nuke though.

Comment

Working...
              X