Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environment Map Reflection Problem

Hello,

I have a situation where I am using a HDRI map in the VRay global reflection & refraction slot to introduce reflections on surfaces in a studio style render setup. I use a VRay dome light for the lighting. This works fine. However the problem comes when the viewing angle changes so that the horizon line and environment background is shown thru the glass in the scene, in which case the HDRI map itself is reflected in the glass. That's undesirable for a studio style render. As a workaround I added a color map the same as the background color (black) to the glass material's environment slot, but the problem with this is that I must change the glass material depending on what I'm rendering; have to change the color map to white for normal studio shot and have to change it to black for compositing. However this leaves the glass with no reflections, which looks a little weird because the surrounding glass frame has reflections. When I used mental ray in the past for this render setup, it had a ray-type switcher map that could be used in the global environment slot to correct this problem, and that worked well, but I don't see a way in VRay to do the same without having to change all the glass materials each time, which is cumbersome. Is there a better way?

thx
    Last edited by leejk; 02-12-2014, 03:32 PM.

Hi,

Would it be possible to attach any render examples or even a scene file for this issue?
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yes, I will email tech support a sample scene.

thx

Comment

Working...
      X