Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filesize difference between automatic save and manual save.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filesize difference between automatic save and manual save.

This might seem a stupid question and I haven't tested it with other renders yet but it occured to me that the filesize between a V-Ray raw image file (saved automatically through the Frame Buffer settings and a manual save from within the frame buffer,all channels to one file option), is huge. More than 250% and the quality is the same. The automatic save is the biggest to be clear.

Why is that?

Screenshot below:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	881441
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

File size varies depending on bit depth (16bit or 32bit for exr) and render elements saved in the same file. With the automatic save you get the render elements as layers and this rapidly changes the size. Also, the auto option can save 32-bit exr and the manual save (with the third icon in the drop-down to save all channels) would save it in 16bit only. When same settings are used the file size is the same.
    Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
    Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

Originally posted by Margarita.Stoeva View Post
      File size varies depending on bit depth (16bit or 32bit for exr) and render elements saved in the same file. With the automatic save you get the render elements as layers and this rapidly changes the size. Also, the auto option can save 32-bit exr and the manual save (with the third icon in the drop-down to save all channels) would save it in 16bit only. When same settings are used the file size is the same.
      Hi Margarita thank you for the answer. The weird thing is both are 32 bit (according to photoshop) and both have all the channels in the same file.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I suspect Photoshop might be doing something to the files when loading them.
        You can check the bit depth simply with loading the file in Bitmap map in 3DsMax. When browsing to the file click on the "Setup..." button and view the bit depth for each channel (Layer). It should be 16bit for the file saved manually with multi channel.
        Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
        Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

Hi,

I can confirm this, Photoshop doesn't show correct color depth information in my tests too. I think that there was a discussion in the forum about that, but cant find the thread.
          If you have Nuke or exrheader you can check the color depth very quickly.
          Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by Margarita.Stoeva View Post
            I suspect Photoshop might be doing something to the files when loading them.
            You can check the bit depth simply with loading the file in Bitmap map in 3DsMax. When browsing to the file click on the "Setup..." button and view the bit depth for each channel (Layer). It should be 16bit for the file saved manually with multi channel.
            Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
            Hi,

I can confirm this, Photoshop doesn't show correct color depth information in my tests too. I think that there was a discussion in the forum about that, but cant find the thread.
            If you have Nuke or exrheader you can check the color depth very quickly.
            Ok, thank you both very much , I wasn't aware of this.
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
            X