Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDB export from Houdini 14 to V-ray problems

Hi

Has anyone tried exporting VDBs from Houdini 14 and then tried rendering then in 3DS-Max V-Ray? I am reading them with Phoenix, I have been doing this successfully with Houdini 13 but I cant get the same setup to work from Houdini 14. Its as if the vdb export has changed???

Thanks

Graham

According to the Houdini change log, version 14 outputs the files directly in OpenVDB version 3
    We are currently working to support for this new format. We will let you know if any update is available.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks Tashko! It all makes sense now I have just been reading the H14 logs. I am looking to see if I can export in the old format, and if not I will go back to H13 for now. thanks g

Comment

I have found out that you can tell Houdini 14 to use the old VDB format by setting this environment variable in houdini.env HOUDINI13_VOLUME_COMPATIBILITY = 1

Comment

The new VDB format is supported in the latest nightly builds for both V-Ray and Phoenix, you can give them a try.
          Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

ok! thats good to know

Comment

Thank you for sharing the workaround you have found. It will be helpful for the other users as well, till the fix comes to the next official service pack.
              Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
              X