Vray Specular pass and vray light with store with Irr map checked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Specular pass and vray light with store with Irr map checked

The attached image is the vray specular pass, on the left i did not check store with irradiance map, on the right i did.
    is it normal to loose most of the specular highlights with the option checked?

Thanks

Cecil
    Attached Files

Yep unfortunately. I added it to the wishlist ages ago and vlado said it wouldn't be hard to add but no joy so far.
    My work around has been to duplicate all lights and don't store them but have them affect specular only. I think you have to move the duplicated lights so they are not right on top of each other.

This gets you speculars and is still far faster than taking the lights of irmap if you have a lot of lights i.e. a mall animation

Comment

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...d-IRmap-Lights here you can see some examples of what I mean

Comment

The store with irradiance map option only stores diffuse illumination from the light. There is no way to recover the specular information. Some cheat can be implemented if there is only one major light source, like the sun, but recovering speculars from multiple lights is not possible.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I already have a hack version by duplicating all the lights in the scene and setting to be not stored and affect specular only. This works but its messy to have all those extra lights in the scene. So its just a workflow issue to keep speculars and have fast store with irmap lights. Maybe vray could just do this? when you store your lights with irmap vray duplicates the lights and sets them to affect specular only but it all happens invisible to the user.

Comment

This won't be correct as the speculars still need to be occluded by objects casting a shadow. And avoiding shadow calculations is precisely what the "store with irradiance map" option tries to do.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X