Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transforming Vertices - again

Hi there

So I'm doing renders of a bookstore and according to the vray message window have about 15000 proxies representing pretty simple book models.

I dont have many materials in the scene but the materials on the book models have many sub materials. When I hit render I get a 3 minute hang on the transforming vertices stage. The vray messages window at that point is on the 'trace sets' stage. When I disable the hide the proxies it renders quickly, and when I use and override material it renders quickly, so it looks like it's something to do with the materials on the books. Materials are shared so no duplicates and the proxies are all instanced (not that it matters anymore). I am also using different materials on instances of proxies (one set of proxies using many different material sets to increase variation) if that matters.

Not quite sure where to go from here as I have to do an animation and I'm worried this hang will blow out the render times to an unacceptable time.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    -James
    James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
    Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

I will need some way to reproduce this here so that I can fix it. Do you think you can get me a scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com ?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

yeeeeah I can try. Give me a few minutes.

Comment

email sent.

Comment

Thanks, I can reproduce the issue; looking into it. However I suppose that the more than 15,000 objects in the scene have something to do with it

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

yeah I had thought it might just be an unavoidable issue. I tried moving everything to my c drive (SSD) which did help a bit. I was also wondering how much larger productions would deal with such an issue when using heaps of proxies.

Thanks for looking into it

Comment

I didn't say it's unavoidable It's very likely that things can be optimized on our end - I just never had a chance to look at such a scene myself.

It looks like many people opt for some procedural way of generating heaps of objects - either through ForestPro, RailClone or MultiScatter; some companies have taken the code for the VRayInstancer and modified it to their needs.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

So this is fixed for the next nightly build and will go into the next SP. The whole scene setup phase is now 10 seconds.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  So this is fixed for the next nightly build and will go into the next SP. The whole scene setup phase is now 10 seconds.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Fantastic...!
                  Alex York
                  Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
                  www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    :O You. are. the. man!

Comment

Awesome! My scenes always spend a few minutes on transforming vertices
                      A.

---------------------
                      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Yep, I thought that was something inevitable on huge scenes and that I had to live with it. Can't wait for the next SP.
                        Thank you Vlado.

mekene

Comment

Working...
                        X