Vray IES woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray IES woes

Any ies file I try loading into a VrayIES light throws a bunch of errors regarding "Syntax error:unexpected end of file", "Syntax error: At least two vertical angles must be specified (-1)" and "The photometric web file, (path to my ies file), is not valid".
    These ies files obviously worked before, but i have not used them since upgrading to vray 3.10.02.

Any idea?
    Signing out,
    Christian

Very strange. I've never had this error and I've tried IES files that are 8-10 years old. Seems like an isolated case to me. Are completely sure you used these before and worked fine? Did you tried other IES files, maybe some new ones to see what happens?
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Tried a lot of files. Old, and new. Recently downloaded some from Erco as well, and they have the same problem.
      Signing out,
      Christian

Comment

Can you post a file here?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

These ies files amongst others.

Or did you mean a max file?
          Signing out,
          Christian

Comment

I meant the IES files. All of these work fine for me in a quick test (a plane and a VRayIES light) with a nightly build. I will try the official builds next. Which 3ds Max version are you using?

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.
              3dsMaxDesign 2015 (all latest updates). VRay version: 3.15 nightly.
              Signing out,
              Christian

Comment

Ok.
                Besides from this being incredibly irritating, the fact that I can not "clear" the VRayIESLight's map slot where the IES file was loaded really gets me angry.
                Why cant I right-click the slot and clear/copy/paste it like with other stuff in max?
                Is there a maxscript-way to remove any IES files from the selected lights?
                You can imagine Backburner is happy trying to load and render a file with 6 of these error popups. DR for some reason seems to at least render them correctly even if vray complains on loading the file.
                Signing out,
                Christian

Comment

I tried your IES files and they seemed to work fine both as vray IES and photometric web. (Though photometric web looked really bad compared to the vrayies.) Maybe you just need to reinstall max or vray...

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
                    Is there a maxscript-way to remove any IES files from the selected lights?
                    Sure, type
                    Code:
                    $.ies_file=""
                    Do you keep these files on a network path?

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Yes, on a shared server with all other maps and models.
                      Regarding the maxscript snippet, does that command strip the ies file out?

Edit: Ok. Tested and it rips them out fine.
                      Maybe we can get the normal right-click behaviour for this map slot updated for the next sp or something?
                      Last edited by trixian; 13-05-2015, 01:46 AM.
                      Signing out,
                      Christian

Comment

That's what it does, yes. If you copy the files locally, is there any difference?

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Well seeing as all happens on all our workstations, I'm guessing reinstalling vray won't really make a difference.
                          Signing out,
                          Christian

Comment

Well trying to recreate this problem doesn't work, which should be a good thing, but makes me very confused.
                            The strangest part is that after stripping the ies files from their respective lights, and saving, I still get one of these errors when reloading the scene, though not 8 as before. There are no ies files loaded in the asset tracker. I am going mad.
                            Signing out,
                            Christian

Comment

Hi Christian,

If you can send me archived project file, I will check what might be the problem there.
                              Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                              X