No announcement yet.

Vray IES woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, checking out the scene would be best - maybe there is something else going on.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

OK.....so things are getting even more strange.
      While preparing a stripped down file for you guys, I saved the ies lights and fixtures out to their own file, and started from there. At one point I checked the asset tracker and saw that the file was still reading in massive amounts of textures, and I figured this was the slate editor not having been cleaned up. I proceed to delete all the active view-tabs and resave and close max, reopening the file.
      At this point I have not done anything with the lights. Upon reopening, the error messages are gone. The ies lights are still reading the ies files from the server.
      I have no idea what might have caused this, as one can not view ies files in the material editor afaik.
      I could archive the whole thing without cleaning, but its quite large and usees railclone and forestpack extensively in case that would be a problem.
      Do you want to try this massive file?
      Signing out,
      Christian

Comment

OK.
        who do I send the shared link to?
        Signing out,
        Christian

Comment

I PM'ed you a link on dropbox Tashko.
          Signing out,
          Christian

Comment

Thank you. If I find something will post here.
            Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

What I have found so far is that the error is related to the viewport V-Ray IES light shading. It is specific for this scene and can't be reproduced on a new one.
              If you deactivate it (Enable Viewport shading) from the IES panel, the error will not occur anymore.

I'm still working on the scene

Comment

OK, found it. The problem is in the OSL shader that makes some changes on its compilation and IES files can't be properly loaded by 3ds Max after that.
                It will be fixed by our developers.

If you experience the same issue again, then try to change the Windows regional settings Decimal symbol from "comma" to "dot".

Comment

Wow, great work there.

So if I understand correctly, the osl-map module is buggy and breaks vray/max's ability to read all ies files (per session)?
                  At least that makes sense as to why the problem went away when clearing out the material editor.
                  Is the short term workaround still to disable viewport shading for the VRayIES lights?
                  The long term and proper "fix" is to fix the osl implementation?

I would rather not have to change the decimal setup in windows, as that would have to be done on all workstations and slaves, and makes typing numbers nasty on a Norwegian keyboard layout. There may be more implications I'm not aware about.
                  Signing out,
                  Christian

Comment

Yes exactly. There are changes in the OSL code that reflect to the correct loading/reading of IES files.
                    However, according to my test disabling the Viewport shading fixes the error messages and the IES light renders as expected.
                    Please let me know how it works for you.

Comment

I think the OSL texture messed up stuff related to the decimal symbol... will be fixed for the nightlies and the next SP.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                      X