Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vrmat converter woes

Hi,

I am trying to use the vrmat converter utility to convert a vray max material to a vrmat.
    While it works for some materials, it generates an error on others.

For example the Botticino Classico SigerShaders material, generates an error:
    Unknown property: "U_Tile" in MtlBase:Placement (in vraymtlexport.ms).

How can I work around/fix this error?

Thanks.

and to partially identify (but not solve) the problem, the offending component is a "noise" Bump Map that has "Explicit Channel" selected (vs. Object XYZ).

if I knew how to fix it, I would...but I don't -- HELP!

Comment

Hi,

I'm getting the same error here when converting a Noise map and Explicit map channel. It seems to happen for any material slot where this map is attached.

Thank you for the feedback. We will inform you as soon as we have this fixed.
      Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks..while you're at it...you might just check the gamma conversion logic...when I create a vrmat, the gamma for any bitmap slot (which is 1 in the underlying .mat) becomes 0.454545 in the vrmat. Oh - one more thing, someone else I know does NOT have this problem with some older v-ray bits...so it might have been introduced in the latest bits.

s.

Comment

Тhis is a proper gamma setup for bitmaps in the vrmat editor. Files with non-linear formats need to be gamma corrected in order to be rendered in correct colors.

Can you share some more details on the gamma issue you have experienced ? Do you get any render differences after the material conversion?

Comment

About the vrmat issue with the noise map reported here. This is caused by the recent addition to the dumpUVWGenChannelForMap method in vraymtlexport.ms. This method treats procedurals which have their coordinates set to "Explicit map channel" the same as bitmaps. However, these coordinates are structured differently. I've done a quick hack which fixes this particular issue.
            Change the line
            if (uvMap.U_Tile) then (
            to
            if (NOT hasproperty uvMap #U_tile OR uvMap.U_Tile) then (
            And do the same for the V_Tile property after that.
            Klaas Nienhuis
            Projects of the third kind
            twitter linkedin

Comment

I just got a feedback from our developers that the issue is fixed, but is too late to be added for the upcoming SP. So it will be part of the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
                Тhis is a proper gamma setup for bitmaps in the vrmat editor. Files with non-linear formats need to be gamma corrected in order to be rendered in correct colors.

Can you share some more details on the gamma issue you have experienced ? Do you get any render differences after the material conversion?
                Yes - I do get significant render differences...
                I have a project in Sketchup 15 that I am rendering in your sketchup plugin...and 15-20 Max v-ray materials (v-ray 3, max 2015 x64) that I want to port over.
                Only a few of them port over cleanly...and even in those cases, I seem to need to restore the gamma to 1 to avoid overly "darkened" results. Of course, it could be user error.

Happy to share a few materials and a simplified SU project if it helps.

Comment

It would help if you could send us some example files and instructions on how to replicate the issue. You can send us a direct download link to support at chaosgroup.com.

Comment

Working...
                  X