Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distributed Rendering Issues - Save this Monkey's Sanity!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed Rendering Issues - Save this Monkey's Sanity!

Hey Everyone,

Having major issues setting up DR across my two workstations.
    If I run DR as the Spawner App; the slave will load the scene, Log informs me that it's starting render, Then receives a 'Render Completed' message and then a warning saying 'Render Host is not responding'.
    If I run DR as the Service; I get the 'No Connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it'

Here's my set-up:
    - Two HP Z workstations, both dual xeon with plenty of ram
    - Gigabit Network Switch
    - Max 2015 with all services packs and extensions (1 Subscription Licence)
    - Vray 3.2 (1 Workstation & 1 Render Node Licence)
    - Files stored on my main machine with shared folders

Here are the checks I carried out:
    - Checked the Slave can see all the necessary files and also has read/write access (The Drives are Shared amongst the WorkGroup).
    - Vray Licence Server is running as a service on main Workstation
    - My Workstation can see the slave in DR Settings (Resolved Servers too)
    - My Slave can see the Vray Licence and I've ensured that the machine will run a Backburner job as instructed in the install notes.
    - Made sure the slave machine can render standalone.
    - Ensured that a 'Slave' user with identical passwords exists on both machines (Both Admin Rights)
    - Checked the Vray Licence HTTP and it tells me that when Distributing both the Workstation and Render Node Licence are being used by different IP addresses
    - Just attempting to render a simple scene, no X-Refs etc. Only 1 Texture present.

Attempted solutions:
    - Checked all paths are UNC (Although I've had to do this manually as 'Convert Paths to UNC' in Asset Tracking and Ticking 'Use UNC Paths' in Preferences doesn't seem to work? Could this be the fault?)
    - Disabled all firewalls
    - Ensured that only 1 version of Max is present
    - Upgraded from Vray 3.1 to 3.2 and removed previous install
    - Updated WiBu Drivers to latest version
    - Checked that Backburner is the same version as Max (2015)
    - Checked that the Dongle isn't in a USB 3.0 slot and also moved it to a different slot

I've set up DR before in previous studios and although it's been a pain, normally we've got it working sooner or later, but this time I'm really tearing my hair out.

Please help before I throw either myself or an expensive piece of hardware through the nearest window.

I will happily give you a kidney or left leg (I can't give you my right leg as I need that to kick the machines!) if someone helps me solve this.
    [DISCLAIMER - Only Digital representation of my body parts will be used a payment]

Vlado, any ideas? Should I post/send the Log File?

Thanks,

Kyle
    Last edited by Graceful_Monkey; 18-06-2015, 02:41 AM. Reason: Extra Info

try removing vrayspawner as a service on the DR machine.

Comment

Look at the vraylog.txt file on the DR slave right after a render to see if there is any error.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado, Using the service, it doesn't even start and no log is written (I then cancel the service) start up the app.

Using the Spawner app, and searching for errors the only one I getis :
        [2015/Jun/18|12:56:53] error: Could not obtain a license (1002).

Also, at the start the log I get:
        [2015/Jun/18|12:56:53] "default" preset not loaded: [loadPreset] Cannot open file "C:\Users\Slave\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\ 2015 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\vray.cfg"
        [2015/Jun/18|12:56:53] [VRender] Constructor done.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comment

OK. It would be best to contact our support guys at support@chaosgroup.com with this information.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Been here many, many times though I think you have tried everything I can think of (often ends up being firewall related for me). Reluctant to upgrade hardware at the moment mainly because of the chance of this happening and spending days trying to get things running again. You don't really expect this in this day and age but I guess there are technical reasons why DR is so temperamental. Good luck, let us know if you do get it working!

Comment

Judging by the log file, in this particular case it's probably not a technical problem.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Hi Vlado, thanks for your help. When you say 'Not a technical problem'; Do you mean with Vray / Licence Service or the actual Hardware set up?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Graceful_Monkey View Post
                  Hi Vlado, thanks for your help. When you say 'Not a technical problem'; Do you mean with Vray / Licence Service or the actual Hardware set up?

Thanks,
                  I am sorry, is this issue already resolved?
                  Have sent us an email to support@chaosgroup.com?
                  Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                  Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi Everyone,

This issue is now resolved! The guys @ support really helped me out here.
                    I had two issues:

1 - I didn't realise that a 'Vray Render node' licence is required for EVERY machine involved in rendering, as the Main Vray licence only covers GUI,
                    I.e. If you have 1 Vray Licence + 1 Vray Render Node you can only render on one machine (I.e. The Render node is not an additional Node licence for DR / Backburner)
                    I realise that many may be laughing at this point, but it wasn't obvious!

2 - There is something wrong with the way IP address are assigned in my network. If I add slaves using the Machine names in DR set-up I can 'Resolve Servers' and it gives me an incorrect IP Address (Although that was impossible to tell from that dialogue window). So it would never actually join the render.

A few additional checks that could help are:

A - Turn off 'Use Local Host'. and try rendering with DR. If your slave kicks in then it could be an issue with the number of available licences or how licences are distributed.
                    B - Try adding servers using machine names first, then 'resolve servers'. Make a note of the IP address then manually check each slave machines IP address and ensure they match.

If in doubt contact the support guys as they were really helpful.

I hope that helps a few people and reduces the amount of hair removed in frustration.

Comment

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved and thank you very much for the troubleshooting guide.
                      Don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any other issues with our software.
                      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                      X