Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VFB AUTOsaving image takes longer than actual render....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB AUTOsaving image takes longer than actual render....

I've tried testing and have isolated that whenever I *autosave* an image to the VFB History, when the render completes and the render dialog box says "Render Done" my then machine takes something like 20 seconds to write out the image to the VFB History.

If I uncheck the Autosave option, my renders are quick and no delays occur at the end (when my render completes) as there is nothing to be written.

This is causing me a lot of time being wasted because often I'm doing small test renders, which take a few seconds, yet I'm sat waiting for 20 more seconds as the writing of the image to history is being done and which takes considerably longer in comparison.

Of course, I could temporarily switch off the Autosave feature but am very loathe to do so (especially since it was my suggested improvement in the first place !).

My machine is a very fast new build and have tried saving both directly to the fastest harddisk I have (the M.2 SSD) and that still makes no difference.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it ?

Thanks.
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

The time needed for image save at the end of the render depends mainly from image resolution and the number of the render elements.
    Smaller resolutions with no render elements are usually saved imperceptibly however higher resolution images with lots of render elements could take some time.

You could shrink that time by deactivating render elements or by decreasing the image resolution.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Is there any render history option to only save the "RGB color" Pass and not all the other passes?
      Olaf Bendfeldt
      3D-Artist
      dimension3+

Comment

Originally posted by dimension3plus View Post
        Is there any render history option to only save the "RGB color" Pass and not all the other passes?
        Not for the moment. I would prefer to work on speeding up the saving process itself than adding another option.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by dimension3plus View Post
          2nd this option. I hardly ever need to compare render elements between images, just the RGB. Disabling them in the setup is not really an option as I'll always forget to enable them after doing a 2 hour render. My bad I know.
          www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
            I hardly ever need to compare render elements between images, just the RGB.
            I do it all the time

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              Not for the moment. I would prefer to work on speeding up the saving process itself than adding another option.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Faster is always good. Sometimes.
              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                I do it all the time

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Yeah, I know everyone's got different needs which makes your life all the more difficult trying to satisfy everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X