Vraysoftbox - hot Spot / dark Spot values instanced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vraysoftbox - hot Spot / dark Spot values instanced

Hi, I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything. I'm trying to use more than one vraysoftbox map in a scene, but it seems that the values for the hot spot/ dark spot are instanced or locked to each other, even though the actual maps are not instanced. The base parameters are fine, just the hot/dark spot values. It's driving me crazy, can't figure out a way to fix it. I just installed Vray 3.20.03 to see if it would fix it, but did not. With Max 2014.
    Tim Nelson
    timnelson3d.com

I'm interested to find out why the hot Spot / dark Spot values are instanced across multiple copies of the map too. I've had the same problem as you when I tried to use the VraySoftBox map in a particular project. I gave up on it because of this problem and ended up painting my own softbox textures. Furthermore, the tracks of the map's parameters in Curve Editor are bugged and show "???" instead of their names:

Click image for larger version

Name:	VraySoftBox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	858313
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Would it be possible to send us a sample scene which holds the issue with the instanced values since we are now able to reproduce this issue into our environment?
      Let us also know the exact V-Ray/3DSmax versions/service packs that you are using?

Regarding the unreadable values (???) of the Softbox texture under the Curve Editor - we got the same thing here so we are going to report it into our system.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Please see attached a simple sample scene I made that exhibits the bug with the instanced parameters (VraySoftbox_bug.zip). Its made with Max 2016 SP1 EXT1 and Vray 3.20.03. Attached is also another screenshot showing the problem.

VraySoftbox_bug.zip
        Click image for larger version

Name:	VraySoftbox_bug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	858317

It looks like not only hot Spot / dark Spot values are instanced but the Gradients parameters as well, as you can see from the screenshot. When I go into the map of the blue softbox, it shows that there are no vignettes applied but there clearly are. This is because I worked on Softbox 2 first (the blue one) and then on Softbox 1 (the yellow one). Looks like the map remembers which softbox was worked on last and it shows these parameters across all softbox maps in Max.
        Last edited by Alex_M; 14-09-2015, 06:48 AM.
        Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
        AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Hi, here's a quick test scene to demonstrate the problem. I have four unique vray lights with 4 unique softbox maps. And still the values for hotspot/ dark spot change across all maps. The values for the tint color change too, but only affect the appearance of whichever map is newest. I have Max 2014 SP5 and Vray 3.20.03, but this problem showed itself in an earlier version of Vray too, 3.something.. I will email this to support as well, thank you.

Softbox problem.zip
          Tim Nelson
          timnelson3d.com

Comment

Thank you very much for the attached file - we managed to reproduce the issue.
            It is considered as a bug and already reported into our system - we'll keep you posted about its status.

Comment

Thank you Svetlozar. If you guys are working on the Softbox map, I was wondering if you could take a look at something else. Would it be possible to change the gradients so that when you edit a slider you can use the color picker/editor instead of just decimal rgb values? I don't find it easy to use - but that could just be me.
              Tim Nelson
              timnelson3d.com

Comment

It would be better to post this request into Wishlist section here:
                http://forums.chaosgroup.com/forumdi...s-Max-Wishlist

Comment

Working...
                X