Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make VRayDirt work on a plane or shallow object ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make VRayDirt work on a plane or shallow object ?

I wish to use a VRayDirt map on the top plane of some floor tiles. My floor tiles are around 10mm deep.

If I use a VRayDirt Map with a radius of 100mm, the map won't work as I'd like.

It'll only work when the other faces of the tile are pulled down to make those sides at least 100mm as well.

Is there a better workaround than making the tiles 100mm tall and only exposing the top 10mm ??

Please say there is ! (and let me know what ).

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

put the vraydirt in an output map, and play with the curve in there, you can jack up the intensity and adjust the hardness of the edge to your hearts content.

Comment

having said that, looking at your image, youd be better served just making a map in photoshop with a black border and a bit of blur.. face map it to your tiles.. itll give the same mask as the dirt but render tons faster, and not require any fannying round.

Comment

That VRayDistanceTex would work.

http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/V...RayDistanceTex
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
          I don't think so. As far as I know VRayDistanceTex requires proximity objects different from the ones the map is applied to in order for this map to work.
          Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
          AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

I am afraid this is not possible out of the box but we might find a way to workaround it.
            For example wouldn't it be possible to make the tiles 100 tall but only show their top 10mm above the floor like the example bellow:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ZaUvaHU.png
Views:	1
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	858438
            scene: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/scenes/floortiles.max
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
              I am afraid this is not possible out of the box but we might find a way to workaround it.
              For example wouldn't it be possible to make the tiles 100 tall but only show their top 10mm above the floor like the example bellow:
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]26212[/ATTACH]
              scene: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/scenes/floortiles.max
              Hi Svetlozar,

That is exactly how I did it in the end.

But there is a plugin Rich Dirt which can do what I want.

Seems a shame VRayDirt doesn't handle flat or thin objects - maybe something we can have as a wishlist item ?

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
              Jez

------------------------------------
              3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
              Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
              ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

I made a feature request about that into our system but I am able to provide any timeframes for the implementation.
                Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Try setting the distribution parameter to a negative value until it works as you want.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                  X