drastically different exposure with v-ray region rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drastically different exposure with v-ray region rendering

Not sure if this had been reported already ...
    Whenever a region is tight on a light the exposure of the whole rendered area changes. A wider region remedies the problem somewhat.
    Very inconvenient when trying to preview things with region rendering. Plus i suspect it affects rendering in strips as well.
    Keep Going!

We've got the same issue too - small region renders are overexposed compared to the rest of the image.
    Last edited by Alex_M; 24-09-2015, 09:12 AM.
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

This could be due to the Light cache calculations. Are you using GI with LC for this project?
      Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

IMap+LC
        hadn't been an issue before though
        Keep Going!

Comment

If the region is small, the light cache doesn't get enough samples to compute the lighting levels with sufficient accuracy.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

with faster computers these days, and light cache really not taking very long, could the light cache calculate the whole scene even for region rendering either as an option or by default?
            www.peterguthrie.net
            www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
            www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

That's the way we did it in the begining. Maybe just some clamp to a minimum value will work.

Best regrads,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

yeah i remember the discussion back then. When region rendering (these days) I'd say I'd always want the lighting to be correct rather than the render being a few seconds quicker. Or is there some other reason other than speed?

how about a vote?
                www.peterguthrie.net
                www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

on my current job, the lightcache takes 10 minutes to calculate, so it would have to be either smart, or optional.

Comment

fair enough. would love an option though
                    www.peterguthrie.net
                    www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

You COULD work around the problem even now.
                      Only, you'd have to activate BF as primary method, so that the retrace option in the LC worked.
                      Further, IRMap as primary method may compound the issue, due to it being interpolated across a different set of samples, in the crop versus the full image.
                      I tested with BF as primary, and no matter the size of the crop, the results stay identical.
                      Lele
                      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                      ----------------------
                      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
                      X