Enviroment background bleeding through materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enviroment background bleeding through materials

Hi - probably done something very simple wrong here but am setting up an aerial camera match. Very simple blocks for now, am illuminating with an HDRI / Dome light. When i put the default grey vray material on and render im seeing the background image ghost through the material - any idea why?
    Attached Files

You probably have that in your environment slot and reflection on the grey material. Switch off the reflection or remove the image from environment. This isn't a VRay issue, Max has always worked like this

You can overcome it with VRay however. Use the VFB to add the background after the fact.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

If you have a "screen space" environment map your reflections will just be of the background. You need to set your environment map to a spherical map.
      Gavin Greenwalt
      im.thatoneguy[at]gmail.com || Gavin[at]SFStudios.com
      Straightface Studios

Comment

"You probably have that in your environment slot and reflection on the grey material. Switch off the reflection or remove the image from environment. This isn't a VRay issue, Max has always worked like this. You can overcome it with VRay however. Use the VFB to add the background after the fact."

Hi - yes i have it in the environment slot but the material is a default grey vray (so no reflections?). How do I add the background after the fact in the VFB? Thanks for your help ..

Comment

Originally posted by im.thatoneguy View Post
          If you have a "screen space" environment map your reflections will just be of the background. You need to set your environment map to a spherical map.
          Ha - yes I do, though if its not screen space the image in the VFB is distorted (showing the spherical image, not screen) so how can i set to spherical but keep it correct in the VFB? Thanks again!

J

Comment

Ah - found the background slot in the VFB roll out, that solved it. Thanks Gavin / Morne - huge help!

J

Comment

One final (i hope ) quick question regarding this, ive assigned the background image using the VFB, is there anyway to "bake" this into the saved image file? currently it doesn't save the background image out (there isnt anything about this is in the help files)

Thanks

Comment

Alternatively just tick and stick a color in the VRay GI environment override slot as well as the Reflection/refraction environment override
                (and use your original background jpg in max environment slot and remove it from the VFB background)
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Working...
                X