Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opacity map problems?

Hi there,

in my attempt on creating a hedge, I've ran into some problems that I can't get rid of. See attached to see what I'm talking about. What you see is 2 medium resolution meshes with a forest pack distributing 10 different leaf meshes with vray2sided material with both sides opacity maps and a translucent map. (Set to clip opacity mode and no filtering). To ensure I use different leaves I'm using Vizpark crossmap to switch between 10 different leaves (all of them correspond and have the same seed in the diffuse, reflect, bump, opacity and translucent map).

As you can see I can see a white edge around all the leaves. Even though the opacity map has a stroke of 10 pixels smaller than the diffuse.

Beauty:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beauty.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	882898

Diffuse:

Name:	Diffuse.jpg
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	882899

Leafs: (I know white should be black and vice versa but I inverted it with a colorcorrect map in max)

Name:	Snip.JPG
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	882900

I know the render is still quite noisy but after 45 minutes of rendering on a 1200 resolution it shouldn't look like that I suppose?

Settings are similar to the new Vlado universal settings. Progressive mode. I did a closeup (but didn't save, I don't have time te rerender) and that one looked OK, it's when I'm moving away the problem becomes apparent.
    Last edited by Vizioen; 05-10-2015, 11:46 PM.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Either turn off filtering for the texture, or use the "Clip opacity" mode in the options of the VRayMtl.

For the record, having the leaf on white is bad It is best if it is generally some kind of greenish color that corresponds to the average leaf color.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      Either turn off filtering for the texture, or use the "Clip opacity" mode in the options of the VRayMtl.

For the record, having the leaf on white is bad It is best if it is generally some kind of greenish color that corresponds to the average leaf color.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Hi Vlado thanks for the reply. As I said, filtering is off and opacity mode is set to clipping; for both the opacity maps of the front and back of the 2sidedmaterial. I know I should put the diffuse on a green background I was still going to do that but shouldn't that produce that green edge then instead of the white one? thus leaving me with the same results?

Also my opacity map is smaller than my diffuse so I already have some overlap just in case? Or maybe a stroke of 10px compared to the resolution of the leaf images (2K) isn't big enough to ensure no white pixels of the background are revealed?
      Last edited by Vizioen; 06-10-2015, 01:23 AM.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Hmm first time I searched the forum I didn't find a match but this time I found this:

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...ity+white+edge

So the only way to get rid of this, is to put the diffuse bitmap to no filtering? Damn, I've been doing it wrong all these years then .
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
          So the only way to get rid of this, is to put the diffuse bitmap to no filtering?
          If your leaf textures are on white, then yes. That's what I meant too.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Well as expected, it's solved
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
            X