No announcement yet.

Converting max16 physical camera to max14 Vray camera/standard camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure and I would like to know myself.

The the easiest if you want absolute match for old scenes in max 2016, I think it's best to keep the old Vray cam for that specific project.

Stan
    3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by pixela View Post
      Hi guys,

One question: If we have a vrayPhysicalCam from an older scene and want to convert to the new Physical Max Camera,
      Is it necessary to use the Exposure Control under Environment and Effects? There is a new Physical Camera Exposure here and I am a bit puzzled about this.
      Exposure Control (for new physical camera):
      1) Leave the Physical Camera Exposure Control on default

New Physcial Camera
      2) Set exposure to Manual
      3) Set ISO to 100
      4) Set Shutter type to 1/Seconds
      5) Set shutter value whatever you're use to for a particular scene

The new physical camera will now behave in a similar way as the old VRayPhysCam. Only adjust the shutter duration now for your desired exposure. Keep in mind that the new exposure is slightly brighter than before.

The beauty of the new camera however is that if you leave exposure to a Target EV instead of manual, you can just adjust the EV as per your exposure tables, and the rest will automatically be adjusted as needed.
      You can also for example adjust your F-Stop, and the target EV will take care of the ISO for you to ensure you always get the same "brightness" if the same EV. This is helpful in general, but espesially if you render DOF and/or motion blur

More on EV, see here:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Yeah I like the new exposure by controlling EV. Very handy, especially when turning DOF on and off
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
          Exposure Control (for new physical camera):
          1) Leave the Physical Camera Exposure Control on default

New Physcial Camera
          2) Set exposure to Manual
          3) Set ISO to 100
          4) Set Shutter type to 1/Seconds
          5) Set shutter value whatever you're use to for a particular scene

The new physical camera will now behave in a similar way as the old VRayPhysCam. Only adjust the shutter duration now for your desired exposure. Keep in mind that the new exposure is slightly brighter than before.

The beauty of the new camera however is that if you leave exposure to a Target EV instead of manual, you can just adjust the EV as per your exposure tables, and the rest will automatically be adjusted as needed.
          You can also for example adjust your F-Stop, and the target EV will take care of the ISO for you to ensure you always get the same "brightness" if the same EV. This is helpful in general, but espesially if you render DOF and/or motion blur

More on EV, see here:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value
          The new camera is slightly brighter, but it's not just that - there is definitely a contrast curve being applied somehow / somewhere and that's what's causing me issues.

Also, for the life of me, I cannot understand why AutoDesk (or someone) hasn't created *stepped* increments for Shutter / Aperture / EV / ISO etc within the design interface. They mention f-stops and real world values very clearly in the documentation but then leave the user to twiddle those important dials to any arbitrary (and to some extent meaningless) value.....
          Jez

------------------------------------
          3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
          Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
          ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post
            there is definitely a contrast curve being applied somehow / somewhere and that's what's causing me issues.
            I can assure you that there isn't any contrast curve. Right now we completely ignore the "image control" section of the physical exposure control in Max 2016.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              I can assure you that there isn't any contrast curve. Right now we completely ignore the "image control" section of the physical exposure control in Max 2016.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I'll send you the image differences - I could not get the 2016 camera to render out as per the 2014 on a recently completed project without applying correction curves to it in VFB. I was using Reinhard and set the camera with the same settings etc as the 2014 camera etc.
              Jez

3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE

Comment

1) With the same settings the image should be a bit brighter in 2016.

2) If you're also using the sp3 beta then the image may be slightly warmer (because of the new internal sRGB)

Vlado is no2 a correct assumption, or is that only valid for the sky models?
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post
                  I'll send you the image differences - I could not get the 2016 camera to render out as per the 2014 on a recently completed project without applying correction curves to it in VFB. I was using Reinhard and set the camera with the same settings etc as the 2014 camera etc.
                  Okay, I ran two tests - here are my results;

These images are raw, no post processing - just to show in 2016 using the 2014 camera and then the 2016 camera with the same camera settings;

Using 2014 camera in 3DS Max 2016
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	In_2016_Using_2014_Camera_v30_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	858847

Using new camera in 2016 (with same settings)

Name:	In_2016_Using_2016_Camera_v30_NCB.jpg
Size:	503.4 KB
ID:	858848

I have tried using in Photoshop the Exposure Adjustment to 'reduce the brightness', and I have tried the Brightness-Contrast Adjustment layer to do the same thing - both in an attempt to get to the same RGB value for an identical area in the ceiling (Colour Sampler tool).

No joy.

I must be doing something wrong ?
                  Jez

Comment

post your NEW physical cam settings together with the exposure control settings in environment
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

Also, when rendering with the old cam, are you switching OFF the exposure control in the environment tab?
                      Kind Regards,
                      Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                        Also, when rendering with the old cam, are you switching OFF the exposure control in the environment tab?
                        Thanks Morne.

It was set as per the attached;

Name:	2014 Camera settings (in 3DS Max 2016).jpg
Size:	550.9 KB
ID:	858850

And here are my 2016 camera settings.

Name:	Camera 2016 settings.jpg
Size:	544.4 KB
ID:	858849
                        Jez

Comment

I've retried saving out as exr in case i was losing something during adjustments, and I retried my 2016 new camera with the "Process Background and Environment Maps" was checked (just as it was for the 2014 camera).

Still I can't get the 2016 camera to 'be just brighter than a 2014 camera"....... something else is having an effect.

Jez

Comment

Would be best to post some scene then so that we can take a look at what's going on.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

any update with this? keen to know if there was a solution?

Comment

There are only workarounds so far.
                                Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                                Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                                X