Negative shadow on thin objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negative shadow on thin objects

Hi, I have an issue with getting area shadows on thin objects. Objects that are .5" thick using a top down lighting solution. When I render, I get a nice soft shadow, but I also get something that resembles a caustic, a negative energy shadow. Original problem started with a standard direct light, vray shadow generator, setting the area shadow type to spherical. When increasing the spherical size (U) above 20", the effect became obvious.

Turning on GI, problem still persists. Turned off caustics, tried override materials, no reflections, etc. Tried a test using a large cube versus a thin sliver. The large cube is fine, the sliver produces the same phenomenon. I tried using vray planar light, same results. Is there a solution for avoiding this concentration of energy that should be spread out and dark?

I'm using the brute force, 0 multiplier, vray shader method. Linear color mapping. Tried max lights and vray lights.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	negative shadow.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	883101

The image shows the results I am getting.

Hi,

Could you attach this file here? What is the 3DS Max units setup for that scene?
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20shadow.max

Hi Tashko, I'm using US standard feet w/fractional inches and my system units are 1=1 inch. This scene is not the one pictured, but the result is easy to reproduce.

Comment

Originally posted by Swihartc View Post
        https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20shadow.max

Hi Tashko, I'm using US standard feet w/fractional inches and my system units are 1=1 inch. This scene is not the one pictured, but the result is easy to reproduce.
        Thank you for posing the the scene file.
        Actually I was misled by the image in the preview post, however, this is an expected lighting behavior in such conditions - wider light source and object. This is the antumbra shadow effect.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Cool, thanks for looking. Now that I have a scientific term for it I can take a look at how it all works and won't be confused any longer.

Comment

Working...
          X