Multiple graphics cards and RT acting sluggish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple graphics cards and RT acting sluggish

I'm using the 3.30.03 and noticing even when I don't have my main Titan X card checked in the new RT device select area that the display performance is very poor. My other card a Titan Z is checked, but it's slow to move or change anything in the scene. Is there something I'm missing to improve performance?

Thanks!

Originally posted by etown View Post
    I'm using the 3.30.03 and noticing even when I don't have my main Titan X card checked in the new RT device select area that the display performance is very poor. My other card a Titan Z is checked, but it's slow to move or change anything in the scene. Is there something I'm missing to improve performance?

Thanks!
    If you turn off the GPU that has the monitors attached to you shouldn't have any lag. When V-Ray starts it reports in the console which GPUs it will use for rendering. Can you check that to be sure that it is not using the Titan X ?
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

Yep, only Z's checked. My monitors are hooked up to the X. I can move the model around, it's not horrible, but it definitely is sluggish compared to no RT running.

Comment

Do you happen to have the V-Ray log, I would like to check what is in there
        V-Ray fan.
        RTX ON

Comment

Sorry, where do I find the RT log?

Comment

Hello,

The In process RT uses the default V-Ray log - it is saved in %temp%\vraylog.txt (unless something else is specified in Production Render->Settings->System).

It would be best if you could start a fresh copy of Max, run an Active Shade session on some simple scene, stop the rendering and then share the V-Ray log.

Best regards,
            Yavor
            Yavor Rubenov
            V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Originally posted by etown View Post
              Yep, only Z's checked. My monitors are hooked up to the X. I can move the model around, it's not horrible, but it definitely is sluggish compared to no RT running.
              I noticed this too.. My monitors are hooked up to a Titan and Titan X's are only checked for rendering. I can tell the Titan is not rendering by motioning the GPU usage but Max is definitely a bit sluggish.
              "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
              Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by eyepiz View Post
                I noticed this too.. My monitors are hooked up to a Titan and Titan X's are only checked for rendering. I can tell the Titan is not rendering by motioning the GPU usage but Max is definitely a bit sluggish.
                Is it only 3.30.03 related or it happens with earlier V-Ray versions too?
                Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
                  Is it only 3.30.03 related or it happens with earlier V-Ray versions too?
                  I only noticed this in 3.30.03 I have to used RT in a long time so I'm not sure if the problem was in provisos builds.
                  "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
                  Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Can you please check and share the log ?
                    V-Ray fan.
                    RTX ON

Comment

This is the only thing in the log after I saved it manually. It's not saving anything to the temp folder.

================================================== ==
                      Console created, V-Ray A from Dec 12 2015, 22:55:02
                      ================================================== ==
                      [2016/Jan/28|15:56:39] Noise threshold lowered to 0.004329 with 27.5 percent active pixels.

Comment

The exact path to the log file can be seen in here:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa.png
Views:	1
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	859664

after you render something in Active Shade you should stop rendering and maybe even try closing 3ds Max - the log file should be there and it should contain more detailed information.

If it is still not present - try to set some new path to the log file - maybe for some strange reason Max couldn't write to the one specified.

Best regards,
                        Yavor
                        Yavor Rubenov
                        V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Working...
                        X