Vray Proxy Export Lots of materials as multi/sub material not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Proxy Export Lots of materials as multi/sub material not working

When I export the object lots of different meshes 'its a car' and create the proxy manually It only has one material

If I get vray to export and create proxies automatically i have the multi sub object,

Any idea why, basically I want to do this manually as the proxy will be used in other scenes

Thanks

Ali

Make sure you enable "Export all selected objects in a single file" and then at the bottom enable "Create Multi/sub-object Mtl". This will create Multi/sub-object material for all the objects in the proxy file.
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Thats the setup I'm using, even if i create generate the proxies automatically it works but if i open the proxy in a different scene it doesn't
      Thanks
      Ali

Comment

Any more info on this? Thanks

Comment

I'm not sure what the problem is. Everything works perfectly fine here. It's important to know that proxy files don't save any materials. If you don't create the proxy immediately with the "Automatically create proxies" checkbox, you will need to apply a material to the proxy after you create it manually from the Command Panel.
          Last edited by Alex_M; 10-01-2016, 12:42 PM.
          AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

AFAIK, it's 3ds max's responsability to save material definitions. The proxy only holds the material IDs, so you DO have to apply a material when importing a proxy into your scene. When you have V-Ray to automatically generate your proxies, it will replace the original geometry with its proxy version, heriting the materials applied as well.
            V-Ray Evangelist, Trainer and Freelancer
            www.behance.net/rickeloy

Comment

ahh ok so the proxy keeps the id's, thats cool ill have another look tomorrow, thanks,

how does vray decide on which part has which id, if i don't set them manually before export? is this totally random?

Comment

Originally posted by ali_cgi View Post
                ahh ok so the proxy keeps the id's, thats cool ill have another look tomorrow, thanks,

how does vray decide on which part has which id, if i don't set them manually before export? is this totally random?
                I'm not sure, to be honest. That's why I always manually attach all models before exporting to proxy so that I can check how the IDs look before exporting. This way Vray shouldn't change IDs itself.

Comment

It will assign random IDs even if you've already set them manually.
                  If you would like to preserve the IDs follow Alex_M advice.
                  Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                  Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                  X