decimal input problem after first render since max 2016 sp2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decimal input problem after first render since max 2016 sp2

Since sp2 of 3ds max 2016 the decimal input switches from comma to point separted values after the first rendering was started. While it's easy to workaround using the point then instead it is still a bit annoying.

At first I thought this is the usual problem known from back in the days when the OS decides to switch the keyboard input language layout. But this is not the case.

3ds max 2016 SP2 (english)
    v-ray 3.30 (english)

I'm not quite sure if this problem refers to the sp2 of max so I might post a bug report there as well.

Thank you anyway.

i don't seem to have this problem. is it every input in the UI?

Comment

I just started a new project and a fresh scene whitout this happening. So it seems not to be related to 3ds max or v-ray in particular. I will investigate further. Maybe it is dependant to some plugin or script.

When it happens it affects all ui inputs.

Comment

check if you have more then one keyboard language setting in windows regional settings

Comment

That's what I was looking for at first but there is only one keyboard layout available.

It just happened again with another scene but I just can't nail down what is causing it.

Comment

Originally posted by hoch5 View Post
            Since sp2 of 3ds max 2016 the decimal input switches from comma to point separted values after the first rendering was started. While it's easy to workaround using the point then instead it is still a bit annoying.
            Have you got this issue with other render engines or it occurs only with V-Ray?
            Does it happen with earlier V-Ray version like 3.20.03?
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

We have exactly the same problem and it's driving us mad!

Not only this but the decimal symbol is different in different parts of the interface! Check the screenshot below. Pretty crazy, huh?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	decimal_symbol_problem.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	859575

That's why my suggestion is that something is bugged with Max. Max is the only application that makes this problem and changes the decimal symbol to whatever it wishes to.I have Bulgarian and English keyboards installed but I don't think that this is the problem. The decimal symbol the Regional Settings in Control Panel is set to period, not comma.

The problem didn't start with SP2 of Max 2016, though. I remember this happening with Max 2015 or Max 2016 (no SP). I still haven't heard any explanation from Autodesk or a way to solve this very aggravating problem. If anyone knows a solution to this I'll be really thankful to hear it.
              Aleksandar Mitov
              www.renarvisuals.com
              office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
              AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
              64GB DDR5
              GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

In 3ds max 2015 this did not happen very often. But that was on v-ray 2.5 as well at my old company.

Likewise I can't remember having problems with 3ds max 2016 sp1 and v-ray 3.2. At least not that often. For me this all startetd after udating max 2016 to sp2 and v-ray to 3.3. Still I can't tell what's causing this. It tends to happen more often on scenes with a lot of models. I cleaned out the geometry from another scene which had the same problem, and placed dummy meshes instead. But guess what, I wasn't able to reproduce the decimal problem.

Since I don't really use other render engines, I don't really know if it's max or v-ray. But I suspect it's max. Again....

I'll keep on trying with my dummy scene.

Comment

I think I found what causes the decimal symbol problem If you switch to Active Shade and start rendering with Vray RT in CUDA mode, all input fields in Max change to comma! Once you stop the rendering, decimal symbol goes back to period (you have to refresh the interface though by going into another panel/tab/material etc.).

Also, it seems that rendering with RT CPU can cause this problem too but it only happens on my colleague's PC. On mine only rendering with CUDA messes up the decimal symbol.
                  Last edited by Alex_M; 23-01-2016, 05:01 PM.
                  Aleksandar Mitov
                  www.renarvisuals.com
                  office@renarvisuals.com

AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
                  64GB DDR5

Comment

Hello,

I think I managed to reproduce the issue. For me it happens like this:
                    - in my Windows Control panel->"Region and language" the format is set to "Bulgarian(Bulgaria)". This format has a default decimal separator ","
                    - I manually change the separator to be "."
                    - I run Max and RT CUDA Active Shade
                    - While CUDA is running the separator in Max becomes ","
                    If I'm using the format default separator "," then there is no change.

We are looking for a suitable fix for this problem.

Best regards,
                    Yavor
                    Yavor Rubenov
                    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Yes, that should be the problem then. I also have my decimal separator set to "."
                      Aleksandar Mitov
                      www.renarvisuals.com
                      office@renarvisuals.com

AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
                      64GB DDR5

Comment

Well it's a deiffrent situation here actually. I'm not using the RT but the progressive sampler instead a lot lateley. I still can't reproduce the behavior constantly. And for me the decimal problem seems to be the other way around. When I start 3ds max accepts the input via "," accordingly to my OS keyboard layout. But then after a while 3ds max only accepts input via "." still displaying the "," separator though.

Really strange.

Comment

Hello,

Do you happen to have any OCIO or LUT color corrections in your scene (as textures or in the VFB) ?

Best regards,
                          Yavor
                          Yavor Rubenov
                          V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Hi,

thank you for taking the time. In fact I do use the colorcorrect plugin from Cuneyt Ozdas in materials setup quite often. I will take a look into it.

Comment

Working...
                            X