Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Freezes after rendering Displacement

Hi,
    I am currently working on a scene which requieres a huge Object to be displaced. It is possible to render the Scene without any problem but after the rendering Vray and Max freeze for about 3 Hours before the result can be safed. I noticed that the Scene requieres much Ram (about 45 GB) and that Vray freezes as long as the Ram is not empty anymore(while it is freezed the Ram usage is decreasing till it is on a very low level). Also one Core is always on 100% usage during the freeze.
    Does anyone know what is going on in my Scene and maybe knows a solution?

Sincerely,
    Chris

This is strange; do you think you can get us the scene for investigation to support@chaosgroup.com ?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

is this not the age-old "unloading geometry" ram housekeeping issue that we have often discussed when using tons of dynamic geometry? although iirc it usually saved the image before doing that bit, as i often just hard-killed max and reloaded the scene, as its faster than waiting for the ram to gradually empty.

obviously if it doesnt save the image until this is done, that would be impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
        is this not the age-old "unloading geometry" ram housekeeping issue that we have often discussed when using tons of dynamic geometry?
        I wouldn't know until I look at the scene...

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hm, is it possible to tell Vray not to clear the memory after every Frame? It would be nice to save the displacement until the last frame as it wouldn't be needed to be calculated again and would therefore save a lot of time.

Comment

Nevermind, experimenting with the Edge length in the VrayDisplacementmod solved my problem. Maybe it was just set way to high. Now Vray renders without any problem

Comment

What is the Edge Length value that you ended up and how much memory V-Ray occupied during the rendering?
              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

I turned off view dependent and used a value of 0,5. This way it only uses about 12 GB memory and renders really fast. However, it looks a bit different than before but considering the rendertime it is ok for me

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, we'll add the scene into our system for further investigation from the Development Team.
                  Glad to hear that you've found a way to render the scene for acceptable time.

Comment

We have the same issue in the scene with displacement when rendergin over BB.
                    VFB fully rendered, render says done but the VFB just hangs there.
                    And since its hanging there for long period, the BB flags the job as failed and renders again.
                    when i click on VFB i get the spiniing wheel icon and i have to kill the process.
                    we get all sort of problems with DR now with the latest release and we are already sorting this out fit the support guys...
                    Martin
                    http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

This issue has been fixed for the next version.

Comment

Working...
                      X