VrayProxy slower than Alembic import with multiple animated objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayProxy slower than Alembic import with multiple animated objects

I have this scene with 2000 simple objects animated, and i need to replicate them X times, so i made a vrayproxy of them in a single file. The problem is the playback even with the proxy is really slow (both show whole mesh and preview faces), so my guess is due to the fact that it's updating thousands of objects still.
    I tried with 3dsmax 2015 alembic import and its WAY faster. I wonder why is this happening? All the objects via standard alembic are still separated, so why is it so slow via proxy? The reason i can't use standard alembic is due to the offset and speed features of vray, also multiplicating them several times becomes impossible to manage.

Any work around for this? I know 3dsmax is stupid slow with thousands of objects so i thought about somehow merging all the objects into one, but not sure if this can be made without losing the animation.

Thanks

The playback speed of the Porxy object will depend on its Preview mode. In example the "show whole mesh" option will display all of the geometry and practically will load all the geometry from the HD, therefore a slow preview is expected. In another hand if you use "preview from file (faces)" mode depending on the range of faces that you set, you might slow or speed things up. The less preview faces are used the faster the preview will be.
    Also for now VRayProxy is loaded from the hard drive for every frame, we would consider changing that and caching it in the memory like in VRay for Maya.
    Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yes, i understood that. What i don't understand is why is it slower than having the actual mesh in the scene, or 2x slower than importing via normal alembic file.

Some sort of alembic caching like 3dsmax's 2016 one would be nice though.

Comment

VRayProxy might be a slower in the viewport compare to the original mesh or the alembic because it is loaded from the HD. Generally VRayProxy is designed for heavy geometry to be loaded on demand.
        Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X