Problem with matte object and alpha contribution set to -1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with matte object and alpha contribution set to -1

Probably a really simple solution but still one that I am missing.

See attached image. That's showing the alpha channel of a render of a handle on a shelfdoor.

What I want do do is very straight forward. Set door do matte, alpha -1, shadows and affect alpha checked in Direct light property box. What I expect from this is a render where the handle is rendered in the alpha channel and the door is not. I want the shadows to be visible as a gradient in the alpha channel. But NOOO - ain't gonna happen. Why?

This is an scene I have taken over from an old project and it's not me who created the scene. If I set up a new scene with some dummy objects it all works out just fine.

I have tried to merge the scene to a new file but as soon as I have merged anything from the "corrupt" scene the problem appears. It also doesn't matter on what objects I do this. Even if I create two new objects and render I get the same problem as in attached image.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

It doesn't matter if I change the settings in the vray object properties or if I add a material wrapper material - same result.

I have also tried to save the scene to an older maxversion (max2015, max2014 etc) with no luck.

If I set the door to alpha -1 but doesn't check the matte checkbox it works out alright - but then I don't get the gradient in the alpha channel that I want - and need.

Getting frustrated here.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	matte_problem.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	883727
    Logic - the art of being wrong with confidence

Anyone? I'm going bananas here...

Comment

FYI:
      Hmm - it seems as if it's something to do with the dome light(with a VrayHDRI assigned). If I uncheck the "cast shadows" checkbox in the dome lights options dialog it works as I want it to.

Comment

also chek if in your wrapper mat has a vray mat as a base mat ...newer Vray cant have standard anymore as base mat

Comment

Thanks tambyra. I never use other than vraymaterials but since this is a scene I have not created myself you never know what weird stuff one might find...

Comment

No prob, did it work?

Comment

Unfortunately no. It gets better than before but still not as it's supposed to be. It wasn't the materials either - there are only vraymaterials in the scene. I don't use the materialwrapper but when I switch to that just to try I get the same result...

Comment

On your material under reflection -> affect channels do you have it on anything other then color only? If not reflections will affect your alpha. If that's even the issue.

Comment

Could you attach the scene or send it to support ?
                  Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
                  Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for the tip frothlord but unfortunately that doesn't help. I have tried with all variations selected in the reflection rollout just to eliminate that as an issue.

Comment

Thank you Zdravko - I will do that.
                      I will not be att the office for a couple of days but when I get back I will upload a scene either here or to the support.

Comment

Working...
                      X