RT: better sampling on glossiness borders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT: better sampling on glossiness borders

I've posted a similar problem before but it was in vray advanced. Now i have something similar but it's in vray GPU. The scene is very simple, self ilum object and a reflective plane with GGX 0.9. At around 15-20seconds the image is pretty much clean except for these edges below, where random pixels keep appearing and dissapearing. I have to wait until 1m30 or 2min for it to kind of clean up.
    From 15seconds to 1m30 is a BIG difference for just those pixels, my guess is the way how vray sampling works. Did something similar with Octane and the noise distribution is pretty even, and i get a clean result in 40 seconds. If it wasn't for these random pixels, vray could be 2x faster than octane in this case. Vray's sampling seems to be "smarter" but i wonder if there's any way to clean up those sampling edges?

Image with issue:

Click image for larger version

Name:	issue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	883777

This seems to be more of an issue with GGX tailoff than other brdf's. GGX even at 2min there's noisy fireflies. Ward cleans-up better and faster at 50s, Blinn at 25s. All with similar glossiness values.
    Last edited by Moriah; 15-03-2016, 09:22 AM.

Could you please attach or send us the scene and we would see what we can do about that?
    Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by Moriah View Post
      Vray's sampling seems to be "smarter" but i wonder if there's any way to clean up those sampling edges?
      Unfortunately that's an artifact of adaptive sampling. Those areas will clear up eventually, but as V-Ray explores the edge of the reflection, it may take a while to sample everything adequately. You could give it more rays per pixel and turn off "progressive rays per pixel" to help clean this faster.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
      X