Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Portals - NOISE

Hi guys

Im doing an interior scene and im having problems with the GI distribution inside. It looks a little dull and not lit enough. When i put the vray light portals, i get a hell of a lot of noise and the render times are quiet a bit longer! Just wondering if you guys are experiencing this also?
    If i have the portals on the INSIDE of the windows, i select the simple option, otherwise if they are outside i leave them as the normal skylight portal option only.

Any help or assitance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by short cirkuit View Post
    Hi guys

Im doing an interior scene and im having problems with the GI distribution inside. It looks a little dull and not lit enough. When i put the vray light portals, i get a hell of a lot of noise and the render times are quiet a bit longer! Just wondering if you guys are experiencing this also?
    If i have the portals on the INSIDE of the windows, i select the simple option, otherwise if they are outside i leave them as the normal skylight portal option only.

Any help or assitance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Might take a look at THIS thread. Portals should be on the outside.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Still seems inconclusive to me? Wasnt no direct answer and nothing too definitive.... do you set them as simple or normal?
      Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
      Might take a look at THIS thread. Portals should be on the outside.

Comment

It was conclusive as to put the light portals outside the windows never inside. But if you use 1 big plane or smaller ones is up to you. I never use simple portals. But this is the explanation:

Simple portal – this option is only enabled if the Skylight portal option is on. It tells the VRayLight that there is nothing of interest behind the light itself, and so the environment color can be used directly. Normally, the portal light takes its color from whatever objects are behind it. In order to do this, the light traces additional rays, which may slow down the rendering. Turning this option on makes the rendering of portal lights faster.
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Thanks for the explanation - they take far too long to render for me to justify the difference :[

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
          It was conclusive as to put the light portals outside the windows never inside. But if you use 1 big plane or smaller ones is up to you. I never use simple portals. But this is the explanation:

Simple portal – this option is only enabled if the Skylight portal option is on. It tells the VRayLight that there is nothing of interest behind the light itself, and so the environment color can be used directly. Normally, the portal light takes its color from whatever objects are behind it. In order to do this, the light traces additional rays, which may slow down the rendering. Turning this option on makes the rendering of portal lights faster.

Comment

Originally posted by short cirkuit View Post
            Thanks for the explanation - they take far too long to render for me to justify the difference :[
            Their might be something else going on than. Maybe share some screenshots and/or a simplified version of your scene?
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
            X