VrayLight Invisible, Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayLight Invisible, Problem

Vray Light when Invisible is ON, not showing in refractions..

Vray 3.30.04
    thank you.

Andrew

Andrew, what you are trying to do is not possible directly as far as I know. If you turn on "Invisible", the light will not be visible in refractions too as you found out. There's a workaround though:
    1. Create a mesh object and make its shape look like your light's shape.
    2. Position the fake light exactly over your Vray light. Make sure that the polygons of the fake light don't intersect 100% exactly with the surface of your real light, otherwise the fake light will appear with strange black artifacts. To avoid this intersection, add a "Push" modifier on your fake light and adjust the "Push Value" such as the polygons no longer align perfectly with your real light. This should be a very minimal value, let's say 0.2 cm so that your fake light's shape doesn't look very different than your real light.
    3. In the material editor, create a VrayLightMtl material and customize it so it looks like your light's color or texture. Enable the "Emit on back side" option in case your fake light's normals don't face the camera, otherwise the fake light will come out black in the refractions.
    4. Apply this VrayLightMtl to the fake light object.
    5. In all of your real lights, exclude the fake light because it will block the light coming off them.
    6. Select the "fake" light object, right click, click "Object Properties..."
    7. Disable the "Visible to Camera" checkbox and click "OK".
    8. Right click, click "Vray properties"
    9. Disable the "Generate GI" checkbox, otherwise the fake light will cast light too.

At the end, the result should be this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fake_light.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	860180

I know that by the length of this list it seems like a hard and long process but it's really not. Try it out and let me know if this helps.
    Last edited by Alex_M; 19-03-2016, 07:20 AM.
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Hi
      thanks for your reply, i did that ok, it was my second thought
      BUT i remember in previous versions was possible if i remember well cause the reflections are still there, maybe i am wrong not sure for that...

andrew

Comment

Working...
      X