Caustics Subdivs and V-Ray Light Lister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caustics Subdivs and V-Ray Light Lister

I just found a bug or rather misleading behaviour with the V-Ray Light Lister and Caustic subdivs:

If you change the caustic subdivs for instanced lights in the V-Ray Light Lister, only the first light instance will change subdivs, the other instances stay at the old subdiv value.

Related to the above, the V-Ray Light Lister shows only the caustic subdivs of the first instanced light. In comparison, the V-Ray Light properties shows an empty field if the subdivs value differs for multiple selected lights.

Tested with VRay 3.3.05.

Hi,

This is an expected behavior for instanced objects and lights. Changes made in V-Ray object properties or Object properties are being applied only to the current selection. What you can do in this situation is to select all instances and adjust the Caustics subdivisions via V-Ray object properties for all lights at ones.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Sure thing. However, I'd like you to reconsider this behaviour. Here's why:
      Let's say you have a bunch of instanced lights, neatly arranged in the V-Ray Light Lister. You can change every parameter in the V-Ray Light Lister and it will apply to all instanced lights. Except for the Caustics subdivs, which changes only for the first instanced light.
      So the only way to mass-change caustic subdivs for lights is to select all and use the V-Ray object properties. Currently, we can't do this with the V-Ray Light Lister, plus it doesn't show any hint if instanced lights have different caustic subdivs (bad for scene debugging).

Anybody else thinking this is weird behaviour?

Comment

Originally posted by Crush View Post
        Sure thing. However, I'd like you to reconsider this behaviour. Here's why:
        Let's say you have a bunch of instanced lights, neatly arranged in the V-Ray Light Lister. You can change every parameter in the V-Ray Light Lister and it will apply to all instanced lights. Except for the Caustics subdivs, which changes only for the first instanced light.
        So the only way to mass-change caustic subdivs for lights is to select all and use the V-Ray object properties. Currently, we can't do this with the V-Ray Light Lister, plus it doesn't show any hint if instanced lights have different caustic subdivs (bad for scene debugging).

Anybody else thinking this is weird behaviour?
        This looks like a bug indeed. The Caustic subdiv parameter behaves like it changes the value for all instances but it doesn't do that actually. I completely missed point two from your first post and apologies for that. I'll log it into our system.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X