Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3ds max crash, but DR continues

Hi all,

Lately, I've been setting up a single-frame DR to run overnight. With four systems rendering, we typically have a good-looking render by morning.

The strange thing is that the main workstation's 3ds max has the following error message:
    "Application Error
    An error has occurred and the application will now close.
    Do you want to attempt to save a copy of the current scene?
    OK / Cancel"

However, the V-Ray DR continues and the render continues to improve with the increase in the Render pass count. If I save the rendered image before clicking the error dialog, the image saves just fine. However, the render cannot be stopped...other than shutting down 3ds max entirely...which means that adding lens effects (bloom, etc) is impossible.

Any idea why this is happening? Any way to get 3ds max to stop crashing? Which log files should I grab to diagnose the problem? Since V-Ray continues, would the V-Ray logs even show anything abnormal? FYI: This does NOT happen on shorter test renders.

3ds max 2016 SP1
    V-Ray 3.30.05

Thanks,
    Tim

That's very interesting, I don't think that V-Ray log will say something useful but you could send it for investigation just in case.
    Vraylog.txt by default is stored into the following directory: C:\Users\YOUR-USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp

Adding lens effects afterwards is possible, unless you are using non-linear Color Mapping.

Does it only crash with specific scene or you have this issue with every scene?
    How much memory is occupied during the rendering?
    What happens if you run the render from another workstation?
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
    X