VRaySun brightness in VRaySky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRaySun brightness in VRaySky

I want to change the size of my sun, however when I do, I loose the brightness of the sun in the sky (not where it shines on objects)

For example with a low sun and size of 1, I measure the sun at about float 10. When I increase the size to 2, the brightness drops to about 2.3. Is this a bug, or expected behaviour?

Only workaround I can think of is to have 2 suns, one for the sky and the other that will actually illuminate my scene.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Hi Morné,
    I think this was made to keep the overall illumination strength while adjusting the size the visible sun disk and shadow softness.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

OK thanks Tashko, I'll cheat it with 2 suns then
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Arrrrgggghhh nuts. 2 suns doesn't work because it creates another problem.

If I increase the sun intensity, it obviously also increases the illumination. Would be nice if can keep the sky correct, but cheat the sun in the sky. Will add it to the wishlist section...
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

could you not use the diffuse/spec multipliers in the sun?
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
            could you not use the diffuse/spec multipliers in the sun?

No I've tried that. I've set diffuse contribution to 1000, but the sun in the sky looks the same, whereas the objects being lit looks nuclear. It also increases noise
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

i meant the other way around: raise sun intensity along with size, correspondingly lower its contribution. The sky may blow a bit, though, when directly seen (easy to rerender it alone and comp in.).
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Yes but that again defeats the purpose. Even if I then render the sky seperate, how do I prevent the sky from blowing out, while getting the sun to look bigger and brighter. It's a very late afternoon shot and the sky is a big part of the render
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

the only way i can think of, is to use the sun and sky as normal, without visible sun disk, and then fake the disk with a self-illuminating geo, its shader within a wrapperMtl so that it doesn't contribute to any lighting.
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

I mean, in the physical world, the sun disk doesn't change SIZE, but rather APPARENT size, due to scatter (and hence also some energy loss) in the atmosphere.
                    So, to be physically accurate, not only should the sun brightness decrease as the area increases (same energy, bigger spread, less punctual intensity.), but it also ought to lose some energy to the atmospheric scatter (you'd see the sun disk bigger behind humidity: clouds, dense heathazes, and so on.).
                    I think faking it is best, yes... :P
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

or just use a hdri
                      Architectural and Product Visualization at MITVIZ
                      http://www.mitviz.com/
                      http://mitviz.blogspot.com/
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmitford/

i7 5960@4 GHZm, 64 gigs Ram, Geforce gtx 970, Geforce RTX 2080 ti x2

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                        I mean, in the physical world, the sun disk doesn't change SIZE, but rather APPARENT size, due to scatter (and hence also some energy loss) in the atmosphere.
                        So, to be physically accurate, not only should the sun brightness decrease as the area increases (same energy, bigger spread, less punctual intensity.), but it also ought to lose some energy to the atmospheric scatter (you'd see the sun disk bigger behind humidity: clouds, dense heathazes, and so on.).
                        I think faking it is best, yes... :P
                        Jip, trying to fake it because the VRaySun has minimal settings for the haze, humidity etc :- )

Originally posted by mitviz View Post
                        or just use a hdri
                        Actually, this topic is just a part of it and I'm already blending the VRaySky with an HDRI but need some more "cheat" settings :- )
                        Kind Regards,
                        Morne

Comment

Working...
                        X