V-ray 3.4 playback lag, max unresponsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-ray 3.4 playback lag, max unresponsive

Yesterday I've installed the latest v-ray build for max 2014 and there's a huge problem with the playback. If I try to move to any timeline frame, max hangs as if it's reloading all the textures/assets/proxies. It takes from 3-15 seconds.
    The larger the scene, the longer the unresponsiveness. First I thought it was a Forest pro beta problem, but after uninstalling it nothing changed.
    Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

I've had issues with the Nitrous viewport in 3ds Max 2016 after rendering (and only after rendering) that seemed related to the Nitrous realistic viewport. The only thing that seemed to fix it was switching to another Nitrous mode like Wireframe or Bounding box. The slowdown seemed to affect not only 3ds Max, but happened across all of Windows. However it didn't look like this was a V-Ray specific issue in my case, as it happened with other renderers too.

Is your case similar?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 06-06-2016, 05:01 AM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

It's not my issue. Even if I hide everything in viewport, switch between shaded/realistic/wireframe the problem persists. I'll try to switch to scanline and install the previous v-ray version to see if things will get back to normal.

Comment

Ok then, let me know what you find out.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

So. I've switched to scanline and the problem remains. Installing V-ray 3.3 everything works fine. I've reinstalled 3.4 and you can't scrub the timeline or change the frame without the long delay, max unresponsiveness. So, it's definitely related to the latest v-ray build. If I remove all the materials and assign a default v-ray material, it seems better, but still far from fluid. Merging the scene with a single material in a new scene gets rid of the problem completely, but merging the same scene with materials result in max non responding (even worse than before) whenever you touch the timeline. Could it be another plugin interfering with V-ray? I already tried removing Itoo software. The only other things that are anyhow related to V-ray are VMPP, Solidrocks and Multiscatter.
          Last edited by king_max; 06-06-2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by king_max View Post
            So. I've switched to scanline and the problem remains. Installing V-ray 3.3 everything works fine. I've reinstalled 3.4 and you can't scrub the timeline or change the frame without the long delay, max unresponsiveness. So, it's definitely related to the latest v-ray build. If I remove all the materials and assign a default v-ray material, it seems better, but still far from fluid. Merging the scene with a single material in a new scene gets rid of the problem completely, but merging the same scene with materials result in max non responding (even worse than before) whenever you touch the timeline. Could it be another plugin interfering with V-ray? I already tried removing Itoo software. The only other things that are anyhow related to V-ray are VMPP, Solidrocks and Multiscatter.
            Would it be possible to send me the scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com so that we can debug what's wrong with it? If it is scene-dependent, it should be easy to fix.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

It's not scene dependent. I've tried various scenes that all worked fine until the update.

Comment

Originally posted by king_max View Post
                It's not scene dependent. I've tried various scenes that all worked fine until the update.
                Ok, then can you send me any random scene that has the issue?

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

I sent you the a scene I'm working on today.

Comment

Thanks, I think we found the reason for the problem - at some point we added support for animated diffuse color for the VRayMtl in the viewports and it looks like it is slowing down the viewport playback.

Will try to fix it, or if worse comes to worse, we will revert that change.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Ive also found viewport performance esp with animations can be greatly affected by the material editor. If you have it open try to close it and see if that helps in the mean time.
                      Cheers,
                      -dave
                      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        Thanks, I think we found the reason for the problem - at some point we added support for animated diffuse color for the VRayMtl in the viewports and it looks like it is slowing down the viewport playback.

Will try to fix it, or if worse comes to worse, we will revert that change.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        I don't know if it happens with newer versions of 3ds max. Closing the material editor doesn't help. Btw. I'm running a gtx 980 Ti SC.

Comment

Working...
                        X