Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay 3.4.02 - VrayDisplacementMod, VrayHDRI 32Bit TIFF Bug

Hello,
    I have a problem here with the VrayDisplacementMod, VrayHDRI Map and 32Bit TIFFs and EXRs. If I render an animation, the object with the VrayDisplacementMod always disappears on the second frame.
    I´ve attached a simple scene that shows the problem, just open it and render a sequence, the plane disappears after the first frame.
    Thanks in advance! Thomas
    Attached Files

Hi again,
    I´ve tried to convert the TIFFs to TiledEXRs but still the same.
    We have to render very detailed landscape data. The 32bit heightmaps with 17000x12000 pixels are really difficult to handle with 3ds max onboard tools.
    The VrayDisplaceMod (2d mapping) is definitely the best way to go here, but currently we can´t use it for animations, because of the disappearing geometry.
    Any help is really appreciated, because we have to render an animation soon. Thanks, Thomas

Comment

Thanks for the scene, looking into it...

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado, I hope you could reproduce the problem.

Comment

Yes, I can reproduce it, so it should be easy to fix - will let you know how it goes.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

So I have a fix for this, which I can get you if you want, but you can also work around the issue on your end by creating keyframes for some parameter of the VRayHDRI texture - you don't really need to animate anything, just V-Ray needs to think that the texture changes from one frame to the next. F.e. you could create some keyframes on the Gamma value. See the attached scene.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again Vlado for the fast response and the workaround, I think the only downside is that Vray has to recalculate the displacement for every frame, but thats ok for now.
              I have another question regarding the VrayDisplaceMod, would it be possible to add a feature in the 2d mode for distance based quality? Some kind of LOD system that reduces the resolution based on the distance to the camera?
              As mentioned before, we often have to render very detailed landscape data with 200MP heightmaps and more and that would be really helpful to save memory and calculation times.

Comment

Hello Vlado,

I´ve noticed that this bug is still there in latest version 3.40.03, is there a date for an official fix?
                As I mentioned in my previous post, Vray is recalculating the geometry for each frame when the VrayDisplaceMod is used (in 2d mode), even if no parameter is animated and the geometry is set so static. This seems to raise the rendertimes noticeable, especially when the resolution is set to a higher value.
                Thanks in advance!

Comment

This issue has been fixed in the latest 3.50.01 beta version.
                  Please test it and let us know if it doesn't work as expected.
                  Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                  Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                  X