Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DomeLight sometimes inefficient with universal settings (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DomeLight sometimes inefficient with universal settings (?)

I sometimes can not help the feeling that when using universal settings in 3.4, in some cases, especially interior scenarios, DomeLight is just not sampled enough. In some scenes where there is an interior with one (but not very small) window, using portal instead of domelight can give me around 3-4x faster rendering.

The problem with Portals is that they are not importance sampled though, so as soon as I use true HDRI environment, they will project highlights on HDRI map as inaccurate and noisy lighting, therefore I am forced to revert back to generally slower dome light. It has usually a lot noisier illumination than pretty much everything else in the scene.

I would like to avoid ever having to go back to legacy local subdivs workflow.

Maybe, DomeLight could benefit from having doubled the amount of secondary rays per pixel it gets sampled with? That would probably not break or slow down much in simple scenes, yet it could help a lot in more complex ones, where paths to reach DomeLight are not so simple.

Increasing Min. Shading Rate to something like 16 usually helps a little bit, but not that much.
    Last edited by LudvikKoutny; 09-09-2016, 07:15 AM.

I am interested in this too.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
    Sketchbook-1 /Sketchbook-2 / Behance / Facebook

Comment

DomeLight usually generates more noise than other lights since it emits from multiple locations so even with the old setup it was necessary to use two, three or more times more samples to the Domelight compared to any other lights in order to get smooth result from it especially for the interior scenes.

Not sure how bad is the situation and whether increasing MSR or IS helps effectively to reduce the amount of noise and how faster/slower is compared to the Local Subdivs workflow setup.
      Can you send us a sample scene that demonstrates that issue clearly along render output and its render time?
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
      X