Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayClipper not closing cavity

Hello,

I have simplified the problem to the following: I have two boxes, one with 3x3x3 segments, the middle polygon extruded inwards and moved a little to the side. The second box just surrounds the first box completely. I create a Vray clipper object and let it cut through the middle of the hole. Result: The hole is not completely filled (see images), seemingly as much as I moved the extruded polygon. When I don't move it and everything stays straight, it works.

Is this a bug? I have used Vray 3.40.02 in 3ds Max 2016.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Attached Files

To make it a little less abstract, here is the use case that led me there: For a medical animation I need to clip away parts of gums and bone to reveal a tooth root. The gums alone work fine and sit at the tooth surface embedding the root, but together with the bone the inner part is vanished. I know this can be done now with two renderings, masks and post - I would just prefer not to have this extra amount of render time and work. I have also tried to use two separate clippers for bone and gums, but that makes things worse, then all holes stay open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gums_only.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	863677Click image for larger version

Name:	gums+bone.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	863678

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the simplified scene and the real world example I'll check what is going on and write back as soon as possible.

Best regards,
      Yavor
      Yavor Rubenov
      V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Hello,

Just to be sure - in the simplified case you need the result to be:

Name:	clip_correct.png
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	863713

and if you shell the outer box and get

Name:	clip_shell.png
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	863714

is not good?

Best regards,
        Yavor
        Yavor Rubenov
        V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Hello,

sorry for the late reply, I was out of office...
          The result should rather be, that the hole in the blue box would be completely filled with the outer orange box instead of leaving a hole in the corner. Or to be more specific in the actual case: The gums need to be still visible between bone and tooth (see attached image, which is two renderings masked, combined etc.). The marked area in red is what is missing in the single rendering.

Name:	teeth_comp_test.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	863800

Thanks,
          Bob

Comment

The issue has been reported as a bug and our developers are working on resolving it.
            We will update this thread when we have additional news.
            Miroslav Ivanov
            Chaos Cosmos

Comment

Working...
            X