Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Normal" map warning

Hello there

this is driving me crazy. I mean in general at the moment. I get warnings in vray render log about maps incompatibility.

The scene is very complex. 15mio polys, around 20 cars with a lot of props and around a 250 different materials if not more.

The log states "Map #0" NormalBump is incompatible.... I simply can't find that sucker in the "scene materials" list. Is there any way to search for "maps" and "materials" in the material editor?

I realized the scene materials palette does not list all the maps in the scene, espec those, which are not some kind of containers for bitmaps...

Thank you very much for any info.

Originally posted by o-v View Post
    Hello there

this is driving me crazy. I mean in general at the moment. I get warnings in vray render log about maps incompatibility.

The scene is very complex. 15mio polys, around 20 cars with a lot of props and around a 250 different materials if not more.

The log states "Map #0" NormalBump is incompatible.... I simply can't find that sucker in the "scene materials" list. Is there any way to search for "maps" and "materials" in the material editor?

I realized the scene materials palette does not list all the maps in the scene, espec those, which are not some kind of containers for bitmaps...

Thank you very much for any info.
    Just right click in your viewport and choose V-ray scene converter, it's going to convert all the non compatible maps to compatible maps; best do a backup first.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

thank you very much for the input. I'd rather do it by hand though - you may call me control freak, but I don't trust "automatic" that much. I did it once for changing materials for a car from standard to vray - all the shaders lost information about speculars and reflectivity and glossyness and even diffuse... so basically, they all turned into vrayMtl with standard settings. I'll never do that again.

Comment

In that case you can look at normal maps with the modifier modifier zorb script (http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...-modifier-zorb). Select all objects that contain them, save them to a new scene, do the material conversion there and merge back?

edit: i completely forgot about this script: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...rt-normal-maps
        A.

---------------------
        www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

well - the point is: it's hard to tell in which shading network those culprits are hidden.
          t
          example: http://www.vrankovina.com/visualisie...e-bmw-austria/

find the bugger... I have did it by selecting each object, loading all shaders from selection in material editor and looked for "violet" nodes... a car has up to 50 shaders... it takes time... a lot of time, which I'm already tired of. And no, i didn't build all the networks by myself and there are some older one as well...

but the second script looks very promissing! thank you very much

and now find some bl... blend and shellac material see attach. None of those is listed in the Scene Material palette of Material Editor

Click image for larger version

Name:	log.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	863807

EDIT: the "change map script" worked! it didn't select the object though.
          Last edited by o-v; 08-10-2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by o-v View Post
            well - the point is: it's hard to tell in which shading network those culprits are hidden.
            t
            example: http://www.vrankovina.com/visualisie...e-bmw-austria/

find the bugger... I have did it by selecting each object, loading all shaders from selection in material editor and looked for "violet" nodes... a car has up to 50 shaders... it takes time... a lot of time, which I'm already tired of. And no, i didn't build all the networks by myself and there are some older one as well...

but the second script looks very promissing! thank you very much

and now find some bl... blend and shellac material see attach. None of those is listed in the Scene Material palette of Material Editor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33359[/ATTACH]

EDIT: the "change map script" worked! it didn't select the object though.
            The modifier zorb tool can list all the same maps used in the scene. And right clicking a map gives you the option to select all objects.

The other script just replaces the maps of either the entire scene or the selected objects. It's not going to select the objects containing them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	863808
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

the "map swap script" has the option to select the object or the shader.. selecting shader crashes material editor.

Comment

Working...
              X