Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh light casting self shadow issue

Hello,

quick question....since when does the mesh light cast a self shadow???

Please have a look at the image below, inside the chandelier there is a box mesh light and its quite evident on the light fixture that the mesh light is casting a shadow of itself.
    If i use vray sphere light its not doing this...is this a bug or a property of a mesh light? Should not the mesh light be actually shining from behind the fixture?
    The light fixture is double sided material - actually a shelled object with a 0.5mm thickness.
    Is there any way to avoid this? So the light behaves like the sphere light???

Click image for larger version

Name:	mesh light.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	885694

Thanks for the pointers
    Martin
    Martin
    http://www.pixelbox.cz

Hi,

This seems to be a problem in the latest official versions, but I think there is some improvements and fixes ready to be added for the next service pack release. Can you post or send this scene to support@chaosgroup.com to verify that? I just want to test with your setup.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

It's not a bug, that's how the mesh light works generally. You will get the same result if you model six separate plane lights.

A solution could be to make the mesh light not a box, but some slightly rounded geometry.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Here is some comparison with six plane lights vs a box mesh light...

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Attached Files
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

It does the same thing when i make the mesh light out of a capsule object...still casts self shadows....anyway, i will send part of the scene for sure in the morning
          Martin
          http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Working...
          X