Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bump mapping not visible behind refraction

Hi,

I have hard time setting up car headlights that are made of two sheets of glass with no thickness. Front sheet has normal facing forward, back sheet backwards, and back sheet of glass has a bump map. Whenever I render two sheets together, bump mapping is not visible through the front sheet of glass. Also, changing normal orientation of the back sheet does not have any effect on the issue.

Here's how it looks in the viewport (blue=front, red=back):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewport.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	885740
    Here's how it renders:

Name:	Render_All.jpg
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	885741
    Here's how back sheet only renders:

Name:	Render_BackOnly.jpg
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	885742
    Here's back sheet moved slightly sideways to show how bump becomes invisible through refraction.

Name:	Render_Offset.jpg
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	885743
    V-Ray 3.40.03 and Max 2016 SP3

Any help appreciated.

Why don't you create some thickness to the front lens?
    Because I don't think that the bump is invisible, but the whole object is invisible through the front lens with your current setup.
    Lasse Kilpia
    VFX Artist
    Post Control Helsinki

Comment

Just guessing but did you increase, refraction, reflection, depth and reflect on backside?
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

As far as I know, this was never working. What I do is to collapse both parts into one object and then mapping only the backside with the bitmap. That way the front and back part share the same material, but only the back side is bumped. Just like the lens would be in reality. The reason it doesn't work is because there are 2 different materials assigned to the objects. The way I understand is that the rays hit the front part and travel "infinitely far" through the object, because there is no backside for the ray to exit the material.
        If you want you can upload these two parts and I will take a look.
        https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

LarsSonparsson:

I need refraction to happen between front flat surface and back bumpy surface. I do not want two separate glass objects, that would give me different result which I am not after. And no, the visibility through the lens is not an issue. If I replace bumped back wall with actual displaced geometry, it works:

Name:	geo.JPG
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	864024

Name:	rendered.jpg
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	864025

Vizioen:

Yep, I've got global override enabled and set to 25

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
            As far as I know, this was never working. What I do is to collapse both parts into one object and then mapping only the backside with the bitmap. That way the front and back part share the same material, but only the back side is bumped. Just like the lens would be in reality. The reason it doesn't work is because there are 2 different materials assigned to the objects. The way I understand is that the rays hit the front part and travel "infinitely far" through the object, because there is no backside for the ray to exit the material.
            If you want you can upload these two parts and I will take a look.
            Yep, you were right. V-Ray decides refractive media based on same material. That's a bit confusing, but good to know. Thanks!

Comment

Here is the scene file to the setup I mentioned:

lens_setup_v01.zip

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
                Here is the scene file to the setup I mentioned:

[ATTACH]33782[/ATTACH]
                Yep, thanks I already knew what you meant. I am using VrayMultisub map to assign bump map per face ID. That works

Comment

So a brick wall bump wouldn't be visible behind refraction?
                  A.

---------------------
                  www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

If the transparent object is single sided, then probably not (or very distorted, black, fish-tank-effect etc). If it has thickness however, it will be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X