3.5 Vray bump issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5 Vray bump issue

Currently working on a project and I gave Vray 3.5 a try.

The scene renders fine in 3.40.03, but in the 3.5 beta the bump map shows a weird behaviour (see examples)

Click image for larger version

Name:	render_vray_3.4_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	885929
    Click image for larger version

Name:	render_vray_3.5_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	885930

It looks like a bug; do you think you can post just that part of the scene (just the wall around that part of the geometry)?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Just sent and email to support@chaosgroup
      with a link

best
      Menno

Comment

My bump bug was reported too, it was on that sea object. Bump was for waves. Difference was huge but between vray 2. and 3.
        Is this the same bug or will mine be fixed in 3.5?
        www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crayox13 View Post
          Is this the same bug or will mine be fixed in 3.5?
          It's a different problem.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by Mennovandijk View Post
            Currently working on a project and I gave Vray 3.5 a try.

The scene renders fine in 3.40.03, but in the 3.5 beta the bump map shows a weird behaviour (see examples)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34339[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]34340[/ATTACH]
            As a workaround - load the bump image through a VRayHDRI, it should be fine.

Actually try to use VRayHDRI instead of Bitmaps everywhere (there is a Bitmap to VRayHDRI converter on the right click viewport menu).
            If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
            Chaos

Comment

hi,
              i had a similar issue before and the same suggestion of using vrayhdri loader was suggested as a workaround. however based on the same `use bitmap 2 hdri converter` suggestion there does seem to be a suggestion that *maybe* standard bitmap types are going to be unsupported at some point if these issues can`t be fixed ? now obviously i`m only guessing at that outcome but seeing the same suggestion twice gives a certain feeling that could become a possibility ? could that lead to a lot of legacy files possibly rendering differently if the converter doesn`t 100% correctly convert them all. just curious.
              cheers
              anthonyh

Comment

There are no plans for leaving the support for Bitmap textures. I was pointing that it's generally better to use VRayHDRI because there are far less issues with it.

Peter Matanov
                Chaos

Comment

hi,
                  so are the issues with vray`s handling of it or is the standard 3dsmax bitmap just bugged ?
                  it`s just if it`s to do with autodesk then it`ll probably never be fixed if it`s vray it`ll probably get sorted.
                  cheers
                  anthonyh

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post
                    There are no plans for leaving the support for Bitmap textures. I was pointing that it's generally better to use VRayHDRI because there are far less issues with it.
                    I'm curious to learn more. It's better to use VrayHDRI for bump maps only or for all types of maps (diffuse, reflections, normal etc.)? Does VrayHDRI render as fast compared to using bitmap textures directly?
                    Aleksandar Mitov
                    www.renarvisuals.com
                    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                    AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
                    64GB DDR5
                    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyh View Post
                      hi,
                      so are the issues with vray`s handling of it or is the standard 3dsmax bitmap just bugged ?
                      it`s just if it`s to do with autodesk then it`ll probably never be fixed if it`s vray it`ll probably get sorted.
                      cheers
                      anthonyh
                      Most of the times it's on our side and as you already pointed out - these ones get sorted

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
                      I'm curious to learn more. It's better to use VrayHDRI for bump maps only or for all types of maps (diffuse, reflections, normal etc.)? Does VrayHDRI render as fast compared to using bitmap textures directly?
                      All types and it shouldn't be slower than using Bitmaps - if you have such an example please share it

Peter Matanov
                      Chaos

Comment

So the original issue from the first post is fixed now for beta 2.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Working...
                        X