Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay lights - slowness

Hello,

That's a problem I face daily for quite a long time now, and that is really p*****g me off: when it comes to duplicate or delete a selection of several VRay lights (plane, IES or whatever), it's insanely slow. For example, with 20 IES lights selected, when I hit "Delete" keyboard key, it takes about 20 seconds before they're actually deleted and then I can get the hand in 3dsmax. This delay seems proportional to the number of light, roughly 1-2 seconds per lights ... if I need to select and duplicate 30 lights for example, I'll have to wait 30 seconds before getting the hand again in 3dsmax ?! I can't believe it's due to my workstation, which is pretty honest I think (HP z620 / bi-Xeon E5-2630 v2 @2.6 Ghz / 32 Go RAM / Quadro k4000 3Go / Windows 7 x64). Oh and I'm on 3dsmax 2016, VRay 3.40.03.

Any idea where this problem could comme from please ?

Thanks a lot for any help you could provide ...

Regards.
    Nicolas Caplat
    www.intangibles.fr

Let me see if we can reproduce this here. What type of viewport are you using? Nitrous, DirectX?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hello Vlado,

We use Nitrous.
      Last time I tested with std 3dsmax lights (omnis, spots no matter) it used to work fine AFAIR. Now same problem if I want to duplicate an omni and get 20 copies and once I get the copies, same crazy delay if I want to delete 10 lights. Sorry, I thought it was only with VRay lights ! reported to Autodesk as well

Thank you
      Last edited by NicoC; 24-11-2016, 07:11 AM.
      Nicolas Caplat
      www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Try unticking "show distribution" under the IES settings.
        Freelance 3D Generalist
        www.maxwood.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, maxwood, that indeed reduces the problem on duplicating with IES lights ! good call still not as fast as it could be, but better.
          But the problem remains with std 3dsmax lights ... mystery !
          Last edited by NicoC; 24-11-2016, 10:40 AM.
          Nicolas Caplat
          www.intangibles.fr

Comment

The IES problem is still pretty boring, even with Show Distribution off, so I decided to try replacing IES lights with "classic" VRay light with Disc mode. Duplicating them shows the same problem Even only deleting 10 lights take far too long, I don't know what to try ...
            Nicolas Caplat
            www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Me again ... I've finished my investigations I guess: the problems only occurs in heavy scenes ! if I try that in an empty scene, duplicating or deleting many lights is as fast as it should be ... so it's only with pretty big scenes !! weird because duplicating objects (even complex ones) doesn't take so long. Any chance to fix that or is it due to 3dsmax lights' handling ?

Thanks.
              Nicolas Caplat
              www.intangibles.fr

Comment

We are not sure yet what the problem is. If you can get us a scene for investigation to support@chaosgroup.com we will try to debug it to see what causes the slowdown.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Good morning,

Sure, Vlado, email sent.

Thanks again,

Regards.
                  Nicolas Caplat
                  www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Hello

Not to harass you or so, but I haven't received a support ticket ... just to be sure my email was correctly received

Thanks.
                    Nicolas Caplat
                    www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Make sure that the recipient address is support@chaosgroup.com, and check your spam folder if you can't find the automatic reply from the system in Inbox folder.
                      If everything is correct and you still can't find a reply from the system please send me the email address from which you sent the request to private message in order to investigate what happened.
                      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Good morning, Svetlozar

Yes, the adress is correct. Nothing in spam folder. I'm goind to send you a PM right now.

Thanks a lot !
                        Nicolas Caplat
                        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

It was into Spam folder left unprocessed by the system.
                          I moved it to Inbox and added your domain into the white-list.

Please let me know if the automatic reply now reached your mailbox.

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
                            Please let me know if the automatic reply now reached your mailbox.
                            Got it - thanks a lot, Svetlozar
                            I just forgot to provide our dongle serial - please let me know if you need it, among anything else.
                            Regards.
                            Nicolas Caplat
                            www.intangibles.fr

Comment

I found it in one of your previous requests so there is no need to send it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X