Lens Effects Glare strange "ripples" and cut-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens Effects Glare strange "ripples" and cut-off

There's a problem I'm having with Lens Effects where ripples can be seen in the light streaks of the Glare (glare type is "From render camera"). I tested with Corona and the light streaks are continuous with no "ripples". Can I avoid this? There's also another problem with the Glare I'm noticing. In some cases the glare streaks end very abruptly. Is it possible to make the ends fade out more gradually? Please check the screenshots below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lens_fx_vray3.5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	886127 Click image for larger version

Name:	lens_fx_corona.jpg
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	886128 Click image for larger version

Name:	lens_fx_vray3.5_streaks.jpg
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	886129

PS: And here's the same scene rendered with fstorm which lens effects IMHO look the best of all 3. Like corona, there's no ripples/banding artifacts or abrupt cutoff of the glare streaks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lens_effects_fstorm.jpg
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	886131
    Last edited by Alex_M; 16-12-2016, 12:06 PM.
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Technically the ripples are accurate, although in real life they are rarely visible, but see for example this image:

I agree that we do need some control over that effect.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

This flare looks sexy :P

Jokes aside, to me it seems that your example is not really representative of the effect seen in the rendering. In the Vray render I posted, the ripples have spaces between them and have somewhat CG'ish pattern (and also missing the rainbow coloring). I can speak only for myself but to me personally the current implementation doesn't look very visually appealing even if "correct" in theory. I don't doubt that the code behind it is correct, maybe it just needs some fine-tuning as you mentioned to make it "better" visually (whatever "better" means). And while you're at it, why not add the possibility to simulate lens inter-reflections. Just joking again :P maybe in Vray 4.0?

Frankly speaking, I don't really care if it is 100% physically correct as long as it is pretty to look at and still decently accurate to the real effect. Maybe if there's an option that controls or disables the "rippling" or whatever this phenomena is called. But to be honest I don't think I've seen such strong ripples like these in photos. At least not ones taken with a DSLR. I'm curious to see examples of this effect in a photo taken with such a camera.
      Last edited by Alex_M; 19-12-2016, 12:58 PM.
      Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

It says right in the title of the image that it's vector image. So synthetic one. In reality, I saw those ripples, but only on very rare occasions. These rainbows are actually something that Corona and Octane simulate too, by gradient mapping luminance value of the glare effect with RGB rainbow, and then having another setting to offset hue of that rainbow

Comment

Ok.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
          X