Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory problem

I am having rather strange memory problem -

The first time I render (per session) Max will freeze for several minutes (3:20 just now) while the memory climbs to the ceiling. This happens even if I hide all objects.

After the render is finished or cancelled I freescenebitmaps() and render again. It starts much quicker and the memory doesn't climb much at all.

Also, I have merged everything into a new scene with no improvement

Does max load everything into RAM even if its hidden? I'm thinking this may not be vray related. But any ideas?

Memory Usage -- System (3dsmax.exe)
    scene freshly opened (takes an extremly long time) -- 15.2 GB (13.2)
    hit render (nothing is visible, hidden lights off, etc) -- 31.5 GB (30.3)
    freescenebitmaps -- 5.8 GB (3.3)
    render -- 5.9 (3.4)

Thanks,,,
    Caleb

I'm pretty certain that max is loading everything into ram the first time it renders, so not related to vray. But is this not strange? Any thoughts?

Comment

I'm not sure what happens; if you can get us some way to reproduce the issue, it will be very helpful. Maybe you can send us a scene to support@chaosgroup.com ?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I appreciate that, but its probably not vray. I changed the renderer to scanline and the problem persists. I then stripped all paths from the bitmap utility (after waiting quite a while) and the problem was fixed. If you do want to take a look I'd be happy to zip it up and send it over. But I don't want to waste your time.

I guess I'm just wondering if its normal for max to do this, and why. So strange that it loads so much into ram for the first render only.

Caleb

Comment

You might want to look in your event viewer logs to see if there is any information there, but you likely have a bad object, particle system, or script/plugin happening. I see a lot of problems on the max forums when people are using for example Bercon Maps 2017 on a file that was created with Bercon Maps 2016. Same for Forest Pack. If you post this on the Area I can try to help you, but I'm a couple days behind right now and it may take a bit of time to get to the thread.

AJ

Comment

Working...
          X