Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vray 3.5 Beta - no speed gain when using DR with progressive sampler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 3.5 Beta - no speed gain when using DR with progressive sampler?

I'm seeing no reduction in render times when using Distributed Rendering with the Progressive sampler. In one occasion render times were even a little longer. This surely can't be normal?

I tested on 3 completely different scenes - a relatively simple product shot, a semi-complex exterior, and a complex interior with lots of indirect light and reflections. I've used my workstation and one other PC for the DR rendering. Both PCs are same specs (see my signature) and both are running Vray 3.5 beta 1. In all scenes there was no speed gain and in one of them (the exterior) it was a bit longer with DR than using just my workstation alone.

I found that the CPU utilization on both machines when using DR with Progressive sampler fluctuated between 50%-80% on both machines in all tests. When DR was not used, the CPU utilization on my workstation was 95-98%. I tried playing with the Ray Bundle size but it didn't change anything. I also tried switching the places of the PC I start the DR render from and the one that is used for DR but I still had this problem.

When I render these scenes with the Bucket sampler, I got exactly 2 times faster renders as expected and CPU utilization on the workstation was a steady 97% and for the DR machine a steady 85% respectively.

Any thoughts?
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB | GPU Driver 551.86 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

It should make a difference on more complicated scenes. Send me one of them and we will see what can be done. You know my email
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

I just sent a scene. Hopefully it will be suitable for the test. It has lots of reflections, indirect lights, glass panels, SSS etc. Let me know if you didn't receive it or if you want me to send you even a heavier one.
      Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB | GPU Driver 551.86 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Working...
      X