Vray 3.5 Beta - Crash to desktop with IPR and matte objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 3.5 Beta - Crash to desktop with IPR and matte objects

Max crashes immediately to desktop with no save dialog if IPR is running and you're changing material properties of a matte object.

Please check the attached scene file for test. The Vray Plane object is made a Matte object through the Vray Properties. Just start IPR from the camera view and while IPR is running, open material editor and change the diffuse color of material "Floor Matte". Max will crash to desktop every time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alex_M; 21-12-2016, 03:18 PM.
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Hello, Alex_M

I was able to reproduce the crash with the scene you attached. Thank you very much! The issue is now added to our bug tracking system.

Best regards,
    Margarita
    Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
    Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

Awesome. By the way, I now have a scene with a matte object where just stopping IPR crashes Max (not even touching any settings in the scene). Let me know if you want me to send it too.
      Last edited by Alex_M; 24-12-2016, 01:22 PM.
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Might be the same issue I described here. Also has a matte object in the scene for shadow catching:

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...PR-crashes-Max
        https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Yep, seems to be the same problem.

Comment

Hello!

This is most probably the same issue, I agree. But it will be nice to check it here, just in case. Please, send the scene to margarita.stoeva@chaosgroup.com
            I apologize for the late respond.

Happy holidays!
            Margarita

Comment

I sent the scene to Vlado, he should have it. If you need it also, please let me know.

Comment

Great! I think there is no need to send it again. Thank you, kosso_olli!
                I was curious about the second scene that Alex_M suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Margarita.Stoeva View Post
                  Hello!

This is most probably the same issue, I agree. But it will be nice to check it here, just in case. Please, send the scene to margarita.stoeva@chaosgroup.com
                  I apologize for the late respond.

Happy holidays!
                  Margarita
                  I just sent the scene for inspection. Just hit render and stop the render after the Light Cache phase. Instant crash to desktop without save dialog.

By the way, after some more tests, it turns out it was not IPR that causes the problem. It crashes even when not using IPR. Also, the crash only occurs when using Progressive sampler. Bucket sampler doesn't cause crashes. Also if you remove all materials from the main object you don't get the crash, so it seems that the materials also play a role in the crash in addition to the Progressive sampler.

Comment

Thank you for the scene! I'm happy to inform you that the crash doesn't seem to occur with our latest internal builds so this will be no issue in our next release.
                    If you need access to a fixed build please contact support@chaosgroup.com and send a link to this thread.

Best regards,
                    Margarita

Comment

Thanks for the info. Will try the same scene again with Beta 2.

Comment

Working...
                      X