Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 3.50.03 DR spawner as Windows 7 service issues

Hi,

Per the help docs at https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...uted+Rendering, I've set up the DR spawners on render slave nodes. When I am in the 3ds max host program on the workstation and go to distributed rendering, the render slaves work properly. Everything seems good.

However, I've tried going into the "Start menu > All programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray for 3ds Max 2017 > Distributed rendering > Administration > Register V-Ray DR spawner as a service" yet this does not seem to register the service within Windows 7. Upon rebooting, the DR spawner does NOT automatically boot up. Only when I manually launch the DR spawner does Windows Task Manager/ Processes list "vrayspawner2017.exe" and yet it still does not show up in the Services list, just the Processes list. There is also no "Log On" option within the Properties either (by right-clicking on the Process vrayspawner2017.exe).

How do you get the service to automatically boot up?

Also, how do you get to the command line to setup an alternate directory for the vray_assets_cache folder? The help doc notes "The location of the assets cache can be modified with the environment variable VRAY_ASSETS_CACHE_PATH" but where do you access the environmental variable?

I'm running 3ds max 2017, vray 3.50, and Windows 7.

Thank you,
    Matt Flynn

Hi Matt,

Have you tried to register the V-Ray spawner as a service by right click on the shortcut and Run as administrator option?

To add VRAY_ASSETS_CACHE_PATH variable to your system please open the Control panel > System > Advanced system settings > Environment variables. Then create one new variable as shown in the screenshot below (you can change the example path ):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SystemPropertiesAdvanced_2017-02-16_10-31-30.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	866562
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Tashko,

The vray_assets_cache_path solution worked; thank you.

When trying to run the v-ray spawner as an administrator, I got the dialog box for inserting a username and password. After entering those fields did nothing (nothing worked), I looked at the VRSpawner.log file (attached). It seems that it cannot find an .ini file in the main 3dsmax folder. I checked and there is no .ini file. Should there be and where does it come from? Once again, Backburner is working, as well as DR when directly opened as a user on the slave machine.

Thanks,
      Matt
      Click image for larger version

Name:	VRSpawner-log-file.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	866581

Comment

Thanks for the update Matt,

Please ignore the warning about missing vrspawner.ini file. You can see the Vlado's reply in the thread below if you are interested to know why we print this in the log: http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...rayspawner.ini
        However, to register the spawner as a service try the following steps:
        *) make sure that the spawner is not running now - if started manually
        *) right click on the Register spawner as a service shortcut and Run as administrator option then add the user and pass for the local machine (you should set them if needed from the control panel Users)
        *) then go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and check if the registrations is completed

We can try to assist via remote session if needed. Just email us - support@chaosgroup.com
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X