Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assets not loading on slaves at DR

Dear Chaosgroup,

I'd like to get some help with the following problem. I don't know if the issue is common, or it's related to our hardware configuration, but here it goes:

In our office there is an internal network, and the assets for the .max files are stored on the server. We can reach the server either with its IP address, or through an M:\ drive.
    My problem is, when running a VRay DR render, the slaves won't recognize the asset's path, if they are defined as M:\<asset path> (although all the machines are set to see the server as M:\). When starting the DR, the slave machines are rendering, but for them the assets (bitmaps, HDRI files, IES files) are not loaded, causing the render to look like a "checkboard" (rendering in bucket mode). The slaves only load the assets if their paths are defined starting with the server's IP.

I sure can always set the assets' path manually to start with the IP, but this leaves some manual mistake factor, and also slows down the workflow.

Do you have idea what causes this problem, and how to solve it?

Thank you in advance!
    Gabor
    Gabor Nagy
    narmer architecture studio
    www.narmer.hu

Use UNC paths instead. Should solve your problem.

mekene

Comment

Having similar issues what are UNC Paths?

Comment

Originally posted by gadzooks View Post
        Having similar issues what are UNC Paths?
        http://lmgtfy.com/?q=UNC+Paths+#
        Nicolas Caplat
        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Hello theedge,

Thanks for your answer. I've been using UNC paths since I noticed this problem.
          However, it gets problematic, if I have to work from home, I always change the paths of all the assets, because I can't reach te UNC path of the server from my home machine. However, I could reproduce the drive M:\ and the asset folders also on my home machine, so I can only copy the files, and the scene is working as in the office.

So that's why I was looking for a solution which works in general.

Maybe a pre-render script will solve my problem, which changes all the path to UNC before starting the render, and then change it back.
          Gabor Nagy
          www.narmer.hu

Comment

Originally posted by narmer_visual View Post
            My problem is, when running a VRay DR render, the slaves won't recognize the asset's path, if they are defined as M:\<asset path> (although all the machines are set to see the server as M:\).
            1.Transfer missing assets is one of the features that could be very useful in such cases:
            https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...deringSettings

2.How V-Ray Spawners are launched from a windows service or manually?
            If they are started as a windows service it is necessary to use windows account with proper setup of the mapped drives and corresponded rights to access files. Local System account doesn't have any of those and this could be the reason why the slaves cannot reach the files.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Dear Svetlozar,

The DR Spawners are lauched as a windows service, so this has to be the problem.
              I'll give it a try, thank you for the tip!

Regards,
              Gabor
              Gabor Nagy
              www.narmer.hu

Comment

Hi Gabor,
                You can also use Colin Senner's script, Relink Bitmaps, to solve path issues quickly. This is really a 'must have' in the toolbox. Also, cease the use of the mapped drives as they will continue to cause headaches... same with running your spawners as a windows service. Just copy their shortcuts into the Startup folder. Here is the link to Relink Bitmaps- http://www.colinsenner.com/scripts/relink-bitmaps For paths you refer to frequently, you can save them into a list for easy access (you just select them, rather than having to browse to them). Once in a while, Relink Bitmaps will not detect a missing path. So if you've already run the script and you still get checkered buckets in your rendering, refer to the Asset Manager and scan through your paths for any that are not the correct UNC path. Then you can right click them and set the path manually. Hope this helps!!
                John Pruden
                Digital-X

www.digitalxmodels.com
                3D Model Marketplace

Comment

Dear svetlozar.draganov,

Can you please specify what you mean by Windows account and by properly setting up the mapped drives?

What is Windows account and how does it differ from the Local System account?
                  Sorry but I can't find any useful information on this issue.

Thanks,
                  Gabor
                  Gabor Nagy
                  www.narmer.hu

Comment

Originally posted by narmer_visual View Post
                    Dear svetlozar.draganov,

Can you please specify what you mean by Windows account and by properly setting up the mapped drives?

What is Windows account and how does it differ from the Local System account?
                    Sorry but I can't find any useful information on this issue.

Thanks,
                    Gabor
                    Hi Gabor,

By Windows account we mean the Local User account, with Administration rights that is used to log in Windows. Usually this account has access to the shared resources over the network. The Local System account is a predefined local account used by the service control manager. By default, when a service is registered in Windows, it starts with this account. The same holds true for V-Ray DR Spwner service. However Local System account does not have the rights to access the network resources. That is why we strongly recommend to change the Log On type of V-Ray DR Spawner service from Local System account to Local User account in order to access the shared locations in LAN.

The problem that you have with mapped drives is due to the way of Windows services are working while they are logged with the Local User account.
                    Windows service applications run in their own security context and are started before the User logs into the Windows computer on which they are installed. If your Windows Service (i.e V-Ray DR Spawner) running in the security context of a Local User account, it can access only the mapped drives created by this User - the service cannot access mapped network resources created by any other User account (Administrator or by Active directory administration), only UNC paths (starting with IP) can be accessed. In other words - mapped network addresses are always "User" specific. If your service runs application under any identity other than the "User" who created the mapped drive, your calls wont work.

You can try to map this drive with the local user and see if there will be any issues.
                    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Maybe it is an obvious question, but have you checked to transfer missing assets in the render settings? I had the same issue and solved it by clicking on it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-15_1127.png
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	867041

Comment

Working...
                      X