Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with light bloom and glare

Hi guys,

I need some help with light effects in V-Ray 3.5. In my scene, when I activate bloom and glare, as much as I play with the sliders for their size and strength, I can't get a good and realistic effect.
    It feels like all the scene becomes blurry, effects are not isolated just around the lights as it should be. Or if I decrease their parameters, the effect is almost not noticeable any more.

Any tips? What am I doing wrong? Attached screenshots with and without lens effects.
    Thank you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	887252

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	887253

try enabling the intensity mask for both bloom and glare. Assing an object ID to your light or material ID to self illuminated materials

Comment

Also make sure that if you use reinhard burn, not to use it in the rendersettings but only in the VFB. They changed the behaviour of the Lens Effects, and if you use any colorcorrection it's hard to achieve a good result. Leave the burn at 1.0 and just tweak the VFB burn.
      A.

---------------------
      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by iancamarillo View Post
        try enabling the intensity mask for both bloom and glare. Assing an object ID to your light or material ID to self illuminated materials
        Thanks , adding an intensity mask seems to help a bit, still not 100% satisfied though...

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
        Also make sure that if you use reinhard burn, not to use it in the rendersettings but only in the VFB. They changed the behaviour of the Lens Effects, and if you use any colorcorrection it's hard to achieve a good result. Leave the burn at 1.0 and just tweak the VFB burn.
        Vizioen, can you be more precise what you mean? In the general setting i am using HSV Exponential instead of Reinhard. No color corrections in the scene. Where can I change what you say in the frame buffer?

Comment

I need some help to achieve a photo realistic bloom and glare effect. If I look at my picture reference, the glow color is very warm, yellowish almost orange.
          I am using a vray plane light with 10W of power and 5500K as color. My direct light (as well as its bloom and glare) is very white, meanwhile as the scene is being tinted yellow, look at the white pipes.
          In theory, I should go up witch a colder color, 6000K to make the pipes look white again, but that will make light effects even worse.
          Any help what can I tweak to match reality?

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	867428

Comment

Size can usually be small, with weight a bit bigger.

The last 2 images you posted:
            Your reference image is mostly lit by the very bright white light from the camera flash, which overpowers the yellow lights in that area.
            For your image, try adding white fill lights (or a single one to simulate the flash).

Also, I recommend you stick to defaults for color mapping, (Reinhard, burn 1.0). If you only have yellow lights in your scene, you need to white balance your camera, otherwise those pipes will never be white
            Kind Regards,
            Morne

Comment

Thanks for the reply Morne,

I don't want to add other lights that are not actually in the scene, as these will be VR renderings, and I can not alter the realty. The goal is to match the existing scene as much as possible. Switching from Exponential to Reinhard will burn all the geometry nearby the pending lights. I tried and I didnt have good results with it.... Will try to make adjustments to my camera white balance to get a whiter result.

Comment

In the general setting i am using HSV Exponential instead of Reinhard.
                Keep in mind that the HSV Exponential will clamp the intensity of the light to one. This will diminish the lens effect to a level that you need to increase its settings to see its effect. With such a low settings every bright place in the scene will be affected by the lens effect. If you instead work with linear values (Reinhard, burn = 1) the lens effect can be easily set to affect only the light because its intensity will be much greater than anything around.
                Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by Zdravko.Keremidchiev View Post
                  Keep in mind that the HSV Exponential will clamp the intensity of the light to one. This will diminish the lens effect to a level that you need to increase its settings to see its effect. With such a low settings every bright place in the scene will be affected by the lens effect. If you instead work with linear values (Reinhard, burn = 1) the lens effect can be easily set to affect only the light because its intensity will be much greater than anything around.
                  This was very clear. Thank you for explaining that.

Comment

sheehan_partners_nm Hope that it is not to late for this but I have an Idea. You can try to make the pipes and the scene whiter by faking the scene light a little bit.

1. Try to use V-ray plane light with 100% white color for lighting the scene. Make it with the same size as the lamp and put it right beneath it. Make it invisible from option tab.

2. On the lamp itself, use strong yellow light material that is been run trough VRayMtlWrapper with Generate GI setting turned Off.

This will create you a white plane in the final render that will be white like the reference, but will glow with yellow tint. This plane will not affect the scene light and color.
                    What will light the scene will be the V-ray Light plane that is 100% white. On theory this should work but I never try it with lens flare.
                    Good luck
                    REDVERTEX
                    redvertex.com

Comment

are you setting it to use the scene camera parameter?
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com
                      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

glorybound, not sure did you ask me or sheehan_partners_nm?

About the issue with lens flare I'm currently with 3.6 and it isn't working even after putting the all of my setting following the instruction above:

As you can see nothing appear. :/

I try it on complete V-Ray default setting and the final "result" is the same.

note: I upload the image 3 times and the Glare Effect Size number appears like 98,13 but on the actual photo is 10 ... not sure what is happening

It is set to 10
                        Last edited by REDVERTEX; 17-10-2017, 03:35 PM.
                        REDVERTEX
                        redvertex.com

Comment

Is your light hot enough? Maybe, your light is dim and you are exposing it to your camera. I try to use real-world camera settings and make my lights work around that.
                          Bobby Parker
                          www.bobby-parker.com
                          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

did you check log ? maybe there some errors regarding GPU ?

Comment

Working...
                            X